5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 1:25 PM by beverly

database relationships with existing data from excel

jshimota

Hi - first post so forgive any obvious faux pas.

I am a beginner filemaker user.  I was asked to create a filemaker solution for a simple quote system.  At least I thought!

The product data originated in an excel spreadsheet.  Using a secretary, and with VB Scripts I was able to pull out usable data then created other sheets for importation.

My product table consists of a product and product category and product family.  In addition, some records have embedded 'mods' that the user can lookup in a book.  I want to setup the tables but with imported data, I don't get relationships correctly built.  How can I get help on this and explain it better so an experienced person can say 'click this then that and your good'?  I'm even prepared to hire someone for guidance if thats ok to say. 

Jim Shimota

• 1. Re: database relationships with existing data from excel
          TSPigeon

jshimota:

You might try a Search for a Consultant. I always recommend entering Country, State/Province and within 25 or 50 miles of your Postal Code. It will generally find a list of at least two or three consultants.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: database relationships with existing data from excel
            erolst

jshimota wrote:

My product table consists of a product and product category and product family.  In addition, some records have embedded 'mods' that the user can lookup in a book.  I want to setup the tables but with imported data, I don't get relationships correctly built.

Hi Jim –

let's leave aside the Excel angle for the moment and focus on the ideal database for your purposes, agnostic to the method of data acquisition.

Besides Products, what other tables do you have? Or if you don't have any, what other things (entities) and processes do you want to manage?

Clients? Invoices? Inventory? Create reports? Create Orders? etc.

• 3. Re: database relationships with existing data from excel
              jshimota

Thanks for the reply.  My database consists of a number of tables - staff, products, manufacturers, and something I call modtables.jpg

Mods are small lookup tables for some of the products sub items.  Additionally, I will have a quote and quote detail tables...

does that help?

Jim

• 4. Re: database relationships with existing data from excel
                jshimota

Many thanks for the replies.  I did contact a consultant and got some one on one training.  It has helped, but I'm still not fully understanding the relationships as well as I wish.  However, since this project was my first foray into Filemaker, I may just shelve this and either find an outside developer to take it on or drop it all together due to too much cost of time and effort to learn the intricacies of a product that I am not sure I'll use that often.  Not a slight to anyone, just me being efficient on what has value to me.  I really wish I could hand this off to someone and get it done for a fair value.  Searching the consultants on Elance the Filemaker hourly rate is all over the place.  I called a local FM developer (head of the local User ZGroup I believe) and he wanted 180/hr.  Insane. sigh.  I am closing this ticket.  thanks to both of you for your quick replies!

Jim Shimota

• 5. Re: database relationships with existing data from excel
                  beverly

Excel assessments, Jim! You will find many in this community who have come from 'other worlds'. Many of us continue to work in those worlds AND FMP. There can be a good merging of the worlds, when needed, to fit our clients' requests.  You will be welcome should you decide to stay in any "level". I hope you stay around long enough to see this! PM me if you need suggestions.

-- sent from myPhone --

Beverly Voth

--