10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 12:09 PM by TSGal

Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely

pfabris

I see this periodically in Filemaker Server 13.0v10 (and v9).  Backup schedules will start, but will never end.  The contents of the backups seem to be complete, that is, the folders seem to have all the database files and the Container folders seem to have all the container data.  However, the schedule will not stop.

The only way to kill a backup schedule is to shut off Filemaker Server.  I wish there was a way to kill an individual backup schedule.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
          TSGal

pfabris:

Thank you for your post.

Are clients accessing the data 24 hours per day?  Referring to your screen shot, does the Event log show anything out of the ordinary for the September 26 timeframe?

Any other information you can provide about the server, operating systems, etc. may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
            pfabris

It's unlikely that clients are accessing the databases at 4AM-6AM when the backup script in question is running, although we do have WebDirect enabled on some files and it's theoretically possible.

The system is running under Windows 8.0, Server 13.0v10

The Event Log shows the last thing the backup schedule did:

Sep 27, 2015 8:30:31 AM

Deleted backup folder "filewin:/K:/FileMaker_Backups/BKP-Daily_2015-09-20_0400/".

This folder has infact been deleted.

Oddities in the Log? None around the time the backups were supposed to run. However it took 2:37 for Filemaker to even start backing up any files.

Sep 27, 2015 6:37:55 AM

Server Events

Information

Starting to back up database: Images...

Sep 27, 2015 6:37:54 AM

Server Events

Information

Starting to back up database: Correspondence...

Sep 27, 2015 4:00:00 AM

Server Events

Information

Starting to back up 20 database(s) to folder "filewin:/K:/FileMaker_Backups/BKP-Daily_2015-09-27_0400/".

Sep 27, 2015 4:00:00 AM

Server Events

Information

Schedule "BKP-Daily" running.

There's a 7AM maintenance script that runs on Sundays that deletes records in various files as per retention policies.  It ran fine, but it's concievable that it deleted records during backup. Also, the HOURLY backup schedule starts running at 7AM. So, lots of things going on at once.

Checked Windows Logs, and there are nothing but Filemaker Events logged in the relevant time period.

All other Backup scripts (the Hourly, Every 3 hours, Weekly) and other schedules have run fine since Sunday.  Progressive backups seem to be ok.

In any event, it would be nice to be able to stop a backup schedule.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
              alternapop

We've been having this same problem for many months and it's gotten worse this month. We have 3 FMP 13v10 servers running on Windows Server 2008. All 3 servers are running in a data center virtualization environment.

One server is our Test/Dev server and is working. The nightly ('Daily') backup will not finish and send out the completion email on both production servers. The only difference that I can think of is that the Test server doesn't have anyone working in any of its hosted databases most of the time.

I've tried deleting and recreating the script, many times, and have tried changing the time it starts from 11 PM to 1 AM. I still haven't found a fix.

Last night I rebooted both production servers at 10 PM in order to reset the hung backup script. The backups ran at 1 AM but only one of the 2 finished successfully.

Some clients do leave for the day and don't exit out of FMP. Also some databases are web enabled so they could be accessed via a web app 24/7.

I thought databases were supposed to be paused during backup times?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                alternapop

I believe we've discovered what was causing this for us. Our FMP servers are hosted in our Data Center with VMWare.

The Data Center does twice weekly Nessus vulnerability scans. I created a new weekly backup that backs up every night except for the two nights when these scans happen. We haven't had a failed backup since and it's been running successfully for a month.

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                  mgeerdes

I would like to revisit this if we can. I'm running into the same situation on our development server. Thankfully, Production is working fine. The only thing I see that may be similar is that development is working on a virtual server, not a stand alone box like Production is. The IT guy says no scanning software is running on this machine.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                    TSGal

mgeerdes:

What version of FileMaker Server?

What operating system and version?

What virtual server are you running?

How much space is allocated for the server?

Where are the backups supposed to be saved?  Try re-validating the backup path.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                      mgeerdes

FMS 15.0.1.137 - not the latest update

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

6 G RAM allocated

OS on 50 G drive with 30 G free

Data on 50 G drive with 29 G free

Backup on 500 G drive with 344 G free

2 CPUs allocated Intel Xeon 2.5 Ghz

Uncertain on the virtual server, I'll get back to you when the IT guy is available

Backups don't fail all the time, they usually work for a few days after restart before failing. Path is valid.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                        TSGal

mgeerdes:

Thank you for the additional information.

From your answers, this sounds more like a sporadic issue.  That is, "Backups don't fill all the time".  Therefore, no need to get the information on the virtual server.

Do you notice anything different in the Event.log that precedes the failed backup attempts that do not appear in the successful backups?

Check with your "IT guy" if she/he is running any other application.  Specifically, any backup software that may conflict with FileMaker Server backup.  If so, make sure the OS backup does not include the FileMaker database folder(s) nor the FileMaker backup folder.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                          mgeerdes

I found nothing unusual in the Event Viewer, nor in the FileMaker Event Log.

FileMaker event logs show that the backups complete, and the consistency checks run as well. Whole process takes about 4 hours.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server Backups Running Infinitely
                            TSGal

mgeerdes:

If it is working some of the time but not showing completion on occasion, something is affecting the backup.  If the Event.log shows no clue, then it may be system related.

Is there any system related or other application running on the server?  Any virus software (turn it off)?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.