1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 11:26 AM by l_allen_poole

Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict

l_allen_poole

I'm getting the "Maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro... All files will be closed and the application will quit" dialog in a circumstance where I'm pretty sure it's incorrect. Here's the scenario:

- I'm using FM 14 Advanced, installed on my machine with a single user license code issued to me at DevCon. There's no way my client could have this same lic. code as they are on a VLA.

- Working on my client's network, connecting to FM Server 14

- 10-15 other clients connected to the server at any time

- Tried rebooting both my laptop and the FM Server host computer, and also deleted my FM prefs files, all to no avail.

The whole story:

1. I took a file from a past project, located in /Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups, copied & renamed it "X", and then opened file "X" in FM 14 Advanced and uploaded it to the client's server.
      2.  I can open and work in other files on the server, but immediately upon opening file "X" I receive the license conflict dialog mentioned above and FM quits.

3. I can connect to the server with my copy of FileMaker 13 Advanced and open all files on the server, including the new file "X," without any problems.

4. The error message comes even when I can see in the FM Server Admin Console that I'm not yet a client of the server at all, ie. when file "X" is the first I open.

5. The error message is inconsistent regarding what IP address I'm in conflict with. Sometimes it says I'm in conflict with a machine at 192.168.0.100 even when I can see in the FM Server Admin Console that no client at that address is connected, or when another user is at that IP address.

6. Other times the error message tells me I'm in conflict with another user at 192.168.0.5, which is MY IP address... even after FM Server restart, even 15 minutes after my last attempt from that IP address.

7. Other FM Pro and Go users can launch file "X" and run it without problems.

8. The problem persists even after I've taken file "X" down off the server, opened locally it in FM 14 Advanced & worked with it there, and then re-hosted it on the server.

What can I do to resolve this, so I can work on my file with FileMaker 14 Advanced?

• 1. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
          TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Usually when there is a license conflict with yourself, there may be looping reference.  For example, in "X", are there any external file references, and if so, in those external file references are there references back to "X"?

Restarting FileMaker Server will not stop the message, as this is a FileMaker Pro license issue.  Instead, quit FileMaker Pro, and check Admin Console to see if your IP Address remains listed.  Wait until you no longer see your IP Address, and then open "X" again.

Since the issue doesn't occur with FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced, does FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced have any plug-ins installed?  If so, have you confirmed they are compatible?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

I'm aware several weeks have passed, so if you have found a solution, please post here so others can benefit.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
            l_allen_poole

I'm still having the problem; it's sidelined the affected project and my testing so far suggests it's a real bug, but I just haven't had time to mess with it further. Will circle back when I can document the bug with certainty. Big wast of my and my client's time.

• 3. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
              l_allen_poole

Does the FMP and FMS 14 v.4 update fix this issue?

• 4. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                hschlossberg

TSGal replied to you three weeks ago and you have so far not acknowledged the reply or answered her questions.  Do you have any external file references defined in your file?  Is there more than one network card, IP address or DNS name for accessing the same server?  FileMaker has never been very good about differentiating users and so it takes a very broad approach.  Your answers to these and TSGal's questions may help us pinpoint the issue.

• 5. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                  l_allen_poole

I'm still seeing this bug in FM 14.0.5, and now I've seen it at another client's location so I don't think it's particular to a damaged file.

The only plugin these two clients have in common is 360Works Plastic.

I have Ethernet and WiFi interfaces on my machine, but only use one at a time.

Yes, all of the files involved have external file references.

• 6. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                    TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Thank you for your answers.

How many external file references exist?  Do the external files have references back to the original file?  If so, try disabling them so there is only one set.

If you temporarily disable all plug-ins, does the issue still occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                      l_allen_poole

The problem occurs infrequently enough that my client can't afford to disable plugins (disabling important features in the process) and wait for it to recur.

I believe it has occurred in a system that has no reciprocal file references, and as with plugins I can't disable my clients' applications indefinitely to wait for an infrequent problem to recur (or not recur).

Did FMI really make reciprocal file refs impossible in v. 14? How do we bolt on third-party solutions like SeedCode Calendar or FMDataGuard without such circular file references? What if I split data or UI across two files that need to talk to each other? Why should that architecture be disallowed?

Thanks for your continued attention to this; if I can figure out how to reproduce the problem reliably I'll let you know. So far it seems really inconsistent. Most recent occurrence was when I added a ref. to a new file in an existing file yesterday.  The new file had no ext. reference to the file where the error was reported (there was no direct reciprocal reference established) and after the obligatory quit and restart I was able to proceed with the new file reference without problems.

• 8. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                        TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Each time this occurs, write down exactly what files were open, and the table where the license key conflict originated.  This will help narrow the scope of the license key conflict.

Do you create multiple file references from within "SeedCode Calendar" and "FMDataGuard"?  Or, does your main table just link to "SeedCode Calendar" and "FMDataGuard"?  If the latter, that would not be a circular reference.  I'm trying to determine where you have circular references.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                          l_allen_poole

I say "reciprocal" and you say "circular." Is there a difference in your mind?

By reciprocal I mean that File A has an external file reference to File B and File B has an external file reference to File A.

Thanks,

Allen

• 10. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                            TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Since you already have a reference from File A to File B, is there a reason why you would need a File B to File A reference?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                              l_allen_poole

It comes up.

Suppose two systems are being made to interoperate, and there's no budget or no reason to merge them entirely into one file as long as either can talk to the other as needed? As I said above, consider vendors like SeedCode, selling modules for people to integrate with existing FM solutions, where the module and the solution need to interoperate.

Suppose I break out a certain part of my data, a very large part that changes only rarely, into its own file so I can back it up differently from the rest of the database, but some calcs in this separate file depend on data in the main data file and the main data file also needs to refer to the secondary data file?

Suppose I develop my mobile UI in a separate file from my desktop UI and I want both my UI files to be able to pass control from one to the other as needed?

Suppose I want a script in my data file that calls a script in its UI file if the data file is opened first by accident?

Why would FM object to this kind of reciprocal file references? Calling them "circular" implies that it's somehow illogical, that it creates a condition that's mathematically unresolvable, but that's not necessarily the case.

• 12. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                                TSGal

l_allen_poole:

Sorry for not being clear.  FileMaker does not object to this type of references.  However, I have seen solutions where customers use Open File commands to open a second file, where the second file also uses Open File commands to open the first file.  These are not reciprocal, but circular.  Does that make sense?

Since this is not occurring, returning to the original posting, are the hosted files reference the other files by IP Address, FQDN, or another method?  I'm looking for possible inconsistencies.

Since you are getting the "Maximum number of licensed users..." error message when opening "X", what files are being referenced from "X", and how are those referenced files referencing other files?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                                  l_allen_poole

I just checked one system where this problem has occurred and all file references are of the form "file:[filename]" as all files are hosted by the same FM server.

I can easily reproduce the "Maximum number of licensed users..." bug on this system by selecting a hosted file as a source for importing records. The error dialog says the conflict is with a machine called [my machine's name] at the IP address my machine is using.

• 14. Re: Erroneous "Maximum number of licensed users..." conflict
                                    TSGal

l_allen_poole:

One of our testers would like to access the hosted file for importing to determine why this error is appearing.  I have sent you a private message requesting that information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next