6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 10:26 AM by TSGal

FMGo14 crashes on long query

nickg

Hi

I am using FMGo14.0.3 / iOS9 on both an iPad Mini (original version) and an iPad Air 2 to run a free-standing FM database. I have a sequence of scripts that extract a dataset using ExecuteSQL and use that to generate a cross-tab report. Depending on the size of extract file (determined by the SQL WHERE parameters), a threshold is reached where the report no longer completes and Filemaker crashes. This threshold is much smaller on the iPad mini than on the iPad Air, making me suspect a memory overflow. The same scripts and dataset using FMGo13 runs without crashing.

Nick

• 1. Re: FMGo14 crashes on long query
          TSGal

nickg:

Thank you for your post.

I notice that the issue did not occur under FileMaker Go 13, but it does under FileMaker Go 14.0.3.  Did the issue occur with FileMaker Go 14.0.1 or 14.0.2?  Or, is this issue new to FileMaker Go 14.0.3?  Did the issue occur after iOS 9 was released?

I'm trying to narrow down the number of possible factors.

Please also send in a copy of your solution for testing purposes.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo14 crashes on long query
            nickg

Thanks TSGal, I have sent the 15MB zip of the application in a separate email.

This error was happening in iOS8 and with all versions of FM Go 14. I notice that the script is taking almost 5 times longer to run in FM Go 14 as it does in FM Go 13, when there is a sufficiently small dataset for the script to complete.

• 3. Re: FMGo14 crashes on long query
              TSGal

nickg:

I received your files and instructions.  Thank you.

I don't have an iPad mini available to me, but I was able to have the solution crash after several attempts on the last cross-tab report.  I also noticed the performance differences in FileMaker Go 13 and FileMaker Go 14.

I have forwarded your files, your instructions and my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMGo14 crashes on long query
                TSGal

nickg:

Testing has been unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Go 14.0.3 on an iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, and iPad Air 2.

After reading your initial post again, my crash occurred AFTER the cross-tab report displayed when I tapped "Close report".  Since then, I have been unsuccessful in making the report crash.

Do you have any other applications running?  Are there any other steps I could take to reproduce the crash?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGo14 crashes on long query
                  nickg

Hi TSGal

I have killed all the other running apps on the iPad Mini and the report still crashes. Although I have only a few additional apps loaded  (fewer than 50 apps in all) I have used all but 4GB of the 32GB device for data, unlike on my iPad Air 2 which has much more available storage.

It is curious that you have had the report crash the once only although you did see the performance degradation on FMGo14. There is clearly something different in the new version that is causing the problem. I will try running the report with an even larger data-set to see if that eventually crashes the iPad Air 2. I am not sure what else I can do to help the team discover the cause.

Nick

• 6. Re: FMGo14 crashes on long query
                    TSGal

nickg:

Although Testing has been unable to make it crash, they have noticed that the performance is slower in FileMaker Go 14.  For "Day outings", the cross-tab report took 5 seconds in FileMaker Go 13.0v9 and 10 seconds in FileMaker Go 14.0.3.  For "River Nidd", the report took 11 seconds in FileMaker Go 13.0v9 and 21 seconds in FileMaker Go 14.0.3.  The tests were performed on an iPad mini 3 under iOS 9.0.2.

I will continue to keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.