4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 9:47 AM by beverly

Import XML from File vs HTTP Request - bug?

user375

I have a simple http request with an associated custom XSL file for grabbing UPS Quantum View XML data. If I (1) grab the response XML from UPS and put it into a field, (2) copy and paste that content into a text file and save it as an XML file, then (3) import from the XML source as a file (using my custom XSL file) - everything is jiffy - my records import with the proper matching fields. So far so good.

I want to automate this to skip the steps (1) and (2) above and simply import from an http request instead. But when I do it that way, I get a "XML/XSL information is not enough to proceed with import/export" error. What gives?

I have confirmed that the data copied from my field (and saved to file) is the same data populated in my HTTP request during the import step, after all they are being generated by the same base request. Both the import by file and import by HTTP are using the same XSL file.

Am I correct in that the Import by HTTP Request should be populated with the RESULTS of my request, not the request XML itself?

I realize I can automate Steps 1 and 2 for this process as well, but would rather have a straightforward approach.

Any ideas? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Import XML from File vs HTTP Request - bug?
          user19752

Isn't there any authentication on the URL?

I guess import XML from URL can't log in.

• 2. Re: Import XML from File vs HTTP Request - bug?
            user375

My request XML to UPS does have the authentication in it. When I run the Import Records script and display the Import from HTTP Request dialog, it shows the result XML data from my URL request ready to import from - same as the XML in my file if I import from a file. That's what I don't understand, the import via HTTP is importing the same data as the Import via File but I get an error with the HTTP method.

• 3. Re: Import XML from File vs HTTP Request - bug?
              dandanthesushiman

I am seeing an issue that may be related, If you type the URL in the HTTP request box it works but entering the same path in the Calculate field does not work. I have been using this functionality in V12 with no problem but it does not work in V14, this is not the end of the world but it forces me to have to "hard code" multiple URL's rather than calculate them. Also the msdso_elem.xslt

stylesheet that was always one of the files in the application folder seems to have disappeared in V14, I have used the V12 version which seems to still work but anyone know where the V14 version is?

• 4. Re: Import XML from File vs HTTP Request - bug?
                beverly

in FMPA 12, this is the path to the installed document (my computer):

/Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/English Extras/Examples/XML Examples/Import/MSDSO_ELEM/msdso_elem.xslt

in FMPA 13 & FMPA 14, the "Examples" folder does not even appear in the "English Extras" folder.

oversight?

Report this as a bug (the entry as well as the documentation missing).

beverly