6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 8:54 PM by beverly

Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?

gregew

I can only make the horizontal ruler appear in Browse mode.  I go to View, but only the singular "Ruler" is an option, which when checked, reveals or hides only the Horizontal Rule.  I have both "Rulers" as an option in Edit Layout, but am I mis-remembering and have I never had the Vertical Ruler available in Browse mode?  And if so has this changed in Ver 13 or 14? (I have 12 Advanced.)  Sure would be convenient to see the Vertical as well.

(I apparently originally posted this in the wrong place, so sorry for any repetition you see.  Happy to read this morning that the ForumMaster is simplifying Community posting choices to avoid such confusion as I just experienced.)

• 1. Re: Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?
          TSPigeon

gregew:

Thank you for your post.

The only documentation I can find mentioning this option is Specifying paragraph attributes and tab settings where is does show an image of the horizontal ruler in FileMaker Pro 12. After testing I have also found that only a horizontal ruler shows in Browse Mode going back to at least FileMaker Pro 11v4 (Advanced). There does not seem to be a way to show a vertical ruler.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?
            beverly

Yes! Vertical Ruler (in Browse mode) has been around a long time. I don't have documentation, but I'd bet before v11.4. It's the way to set tab-stops in text fields. Perhaps it had different functionality that is now found in the Inspector? Double-Clicking the tab stop, for example, I believe, would open a dialog - but maybe only in layout mode?

I go back to v2.1 and do NOT recall ever having a vertical ruler in Browse mode. Perhaps, OP could explain why this would be helpful?

Beverly

• 3. Re: Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?
              gregew

Thanks, but I think you're confusing horizontal and vertical.  I'm talking about the ruler that goes up and down (vertically) on the left side of the window in Layout mode.  TSPigeon has a good comprehensive 'correct answer' for me.

I would like to have an option of a vertical ruler, however, not to change margins in text fields, but to predict where the window will fall on a printed page w/o having to go into Edit Layout or Preview Print.

• 4. Re: Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?
                beverly

No confusion. There are rulers which appear horizontal AND vertical in Layout Mode. The "formatting" ruler only appears horizontal in Browse mode and is unique to each field it appears above. (multiple fields inline at the top will have a separate ruler in browse mode). use View menu->Rulers to see these in Browse mode.

I think I understand what you are saying. I often need a "marker" such as you have described. Your ruler would not show you where your page would end if you have different zooms applied when printing (as I have done on occasion).

You can see where a page would end if you display a  Screen Stencil in layout mode.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10094/~/overview-of-screen-stencils-in-filemaker-pro

Yes, this is at 100% zoom, but you can put lines on your layout (not printable) that show in browse mode where the 'end-of-print' would appear in a document (just the first page is where I needed this marker).

I have also set the Page Size to different zooms (90%, 80%, etc.) and put 'marker' lines for these (non-printing) as well.

The client was delighted!

HTH,

Beverly

• 5. Re: Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?
                  gregew

Thanks, I had found that link as well and still trying to sort out how to please all my nonprofit 'clients' that are using the same solution (in a runtime I distribute from time-to-time), but have widely different screen sizes, and use PCs and Macs!

I actually have a related question, if you don't mind.  How do you make sure that when a layout is printed that there are proper margins on all sides of the image on the paper?  On one of mine, I've unlocked and mass-moved the entire layout over and down a half-inch or more so it doesn't stay 'tucked up' into the upper left corner as default.  Is that the way I have to do it?

• 6. Re: Why only horizontal Ruler in Browse and not also vertical?
                    beverly

in layout mode, you can specify the margins for a page (under edit layout). I set these as absolute and often show the page margins when designing for print.

Then with my 'markers' the client knows to not zoom (which can also be set by script - in page setup).

Still education or users can help.

beverly