8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 1:41 AM by

Creating a Follow-Up Action

RogerBirch

Having created certain contacts in my “contacts” database, there are some that I want to return to after a period of time.

To enable this, I want to enter a “FollowUp” date in a “date” field against my designated contact so that when the date is reached my record would pop up or a reminder would pop up to tell me to return to that “contact”.

Creating the “date” field is not a problem but I am trying (with difficulty) to create a script to produce this solution.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action
          erolst

Hi Roger –

sorry I didn't respond to your mail, was busy with other stuff.

What is exactly your problem? Setting the reminder/follow-up field to a certain date (e.g. current + offset), or finding records thusly flagged – or both?

• 2. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action
            RogerBirch

Thanks for coming back, both seem to be giving me grief.

• 3. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action
              erolst

To set your follow-up to a calculated date, you could just display a button and attach to it the single script step Set Field[], like

Set Field [ target field: Table::followUpDate ; calculated value: Get ( CurrentDate ) + 7 ]

To find all contacts that have followUpDate of today, use e.g.

Enter Find Mode

Go to Layout [ Contacts ( Contacts ) ]

Set Field [ Contacts::followUpDate ; Get ( CurrentDate ) ]

Perform Find

All contacts that have a reminder date of tomorrow:

Set Field [ Contacts::followUpDate ; Get ( CurrentDate ) + 1 ]

All within the next 7 days:

Set Field [ Contacts::followUpDate ; Get ( CurrentDate ) + 1 & ".." & Get ( CurrentDate ) + 7 ]

etc.

As suggested, you may want to add a resolved/done flag, so you can leave the date info intact, but deactivate the attribute as such.

That could be a simple number field, say “followUpDone”, that you display it as a checkbox with a value list of 1 (just the number)

Then amend your Find scripts with

Enter Find Mode

Go to Layout [ Contacts ( Contacts ) ]

Set Field [ Contacts::followUpDate ; Get ( CurrentDate ) ]

Set Field ( Contacts::followUpDone ; "=" ]

Perform Find

I suggest you experiment a bit with scripting; it's not rocket science,and having a bit of sample code should get you into the mood …

• 4. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action

Hi again erolst

Thanks for replying, first hurdle:-

I am trying to create the button as suggested with SetField etc.

I am specifying a calculated single script calculated as follows:- Contacts::FollowUpOn;Get(CurrentDate)+7 BUT when I press OK, I get a messsage saying "An operator is needed here" and highlighting ";Get(CurrentDate)+7"

Can you please advise why this should be?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action
                  erolst

Guest wrote:

Contacts::FollowUpOn;Get(CurrentDate)+7

Note that Set Field[] has two options, and two buttons that go with them:

Contacts::FollowUpOn

is the (target) field you want to set; it must be selected (specified) from a field picker dialog;

Get ( CurrentDate ) + 7

is the calculation that you “specify” as the result.

• 6. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action
                    RogerBirch

Once again, many thanks erolst for feedback. That last bit of information made it much clearer.

I have stood back at what I have been trying to achieve and taken a more objective look at my idea in hand.

In short, although I know what I want to achieve, I have a problem in understanding the correct script to choose. (AS an aside, can you recommend any websites that would give me a better understanding of the language, which I believe is db?)

What I want to achieve is as follows:-

I have a database of clients, one of the fields is a date field - (Call it FollowUpDate). In this field I want put a date sometime into the future from when I create it. Another feature would be an “Action” button.

I would then like to be able to press the “Action” button which will give me a reminder (or pop-up or something) to return me to this particular client at the date designated in the “FollowUpDate” date field as mentioned above.

My simple coding would be:-

[When “FollowUPDate”=CurrentDate ; Open “ClientRecord which has the same FollowUpDate”]

(Result could be Open or send reminder or something)

As mentioned above, my problem is identifying the correct script to use for such coding.

I apologies erolst for stringing this out with you but at the moment do not know to whom to turn to.

• 7. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action
                      erolst

RogerBirch wrote:

Another feature would be an “Action” button.

I would then like to be able to press the “Action” button which will give me a reminder (or pop-up or something) to return me to this particular client at the date designated in the “FollowUpDate” date field as mentioned above.

My simple coding would be:-

[When “FollowUPDate”=CurrentDate ; Open “ClientRecord which has the same FollowUpDate”]

(Result could be Open or send reminder or something)

Simplest ways: Create a script like this:

Enter Find Mode

Set Field [ Contact::followUpDate ; Get ( CurrentDate ) ]

Set Error Capture

Perform Find

If [ not Get ( FoundCount ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ "No Actions for today!" ]

Else If [ Get ( FoundCount ) > 1 ]

Go to Layout [ Contact_List ( Contact ) ]

# [ implicit: remain on original layout (e.g. Contact_Detail) if found count = 1 )

End If

and attach it to a button. As you can see/read, this script uses a hypothetical list layout to display multiple find results. If you don't need that bit of convenience, just use

If [ not Get ( FoundCount ) ]

Show Custom Dialog [ "No Actions for today!" ]

End If

• 8. Re: Creating a Follow-Up Action

Great erolst, many thanks, we are up and running with your suggestions.

Would you have any ideas on websites etc where I might be able to learn more about this coding?

Thanks once again for your patience.