4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 11:15 PM by user19752

Email to SMS Setup

sundown

I am modifying my Filemaker script that was sending emails to clients to now send Text messages. I am trying to set this up to send the email to TextMagic where it is then sent to the inserted phone number.

The TextMagic "To:" is in the format "1(my phone)@textmagic.com,1(client's phone)@textmagic.com"

where a "1" is in front of each phone number and a comma after my identification & phone.

I have tested this link successfully from my email, but cannot get the "Send Mail" script to accept this "To:" format.

I am trying to create a new field to insert the client's phone in this TextMagic format & get the "Send mail" script to accept it, but no luck yet.

Any help appreciated.

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at Oct. 3, 2015  11.48.22 AM.png

• 1. Re: Email to SMS Setup
          psijmons

Have you tried sending without the attachment ?

• 2. Re: Email to SMS Setup
            sundown

I haven't got to that far yet. Don't know if I need to do a PDF attachment for this Send Mail script.

I can now send myself a text by manually entering my phone number in the place of the "client's phone". What I have not figured out is how to do a "Merge Field" to insert the client's phone number in this format for the "To:"

Then I need to find out if I can merge fields into the message so I don't need a PDF attachment.

Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: Email to SMS Setup
              sundown

I think I have got it working. The merge fields in Send Email work if I add a "& at the beginning and end if the merged field. This works for all of the Send Email blanks.

• 4. Re: Email to SMS Setup
                user19752

"merge field" is defined term in FM, on layout text object containing <<>> like as

some text<<table::field>>another text

This can be used with naming object,

GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( theName ; "contents" )

but your answer is more simple, concatenate text with field value calculation

"some text" & table::field & "another text"