4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2015 10:50 AM by jshimota

Simple(?) learning need - guidance please!

jshimota

Hi. I decided not to give up on FileMaker, but took a new direction to learn more.

I'm understanding Many to Many relationships and have intermediary table.  Now I want to make a layout to give me some functionality.

I have a table of Fish. yep. fish.  I have a table of Bait.  Some fish eat different bait.  Some baits are right for different fish.

Both tables were full of data before I connected them.  I filled this data from Excel tables.

I'm trying to make a layout that shows a Fish. I want a list down the side (or below!) that has all the baits in my bait table and I want to click all the baits that work for that fish.  I think if I can get this learned I'll be able to expand on this knowledge to make it usable following that model to make the same functionality of fish to locations etc.

I've attached my FM file (the images are stored in an external container so as to keep file size to a minimum.  Would anyone like to make a basic layout so I can study that and learn how this stage is done?  Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Simple(?) learning need - guidance please!
          DanielShanahan

You're close.  Now you just need to populate the intermediary table.  See attached.

• 2. Re: Simple(?) learning need - guidance please!
            jshimota

Thank you! At first I didn't even see your addition   I've spent the day adding the relationships and now have a populated 3rd table. A couple of follow up questions:

Can one reindex one table without breaking the intermediary table?  (I found a missing record).

How do you make a portal that pulls records from one table and also another table at the same time?

What do I begin to study to learn about making a select list?

I tried making a basic report but the data in the results is actually incorrect. The data is good, just my pulling it out isn't working!

I've attached my "second class" homework - It's actually a very good exercise!  In my attachment, i've included the images for others in case it somehow becomes useful.  (Originally I wanted to follow a simple lesson posted in 2006 about students and classes but that download was no longer available so to help others I post this.)

Thank you again for your kindness and generosity of your time in answering.

Jim Shimota

• 3. Re: Simple(?) learning need - guidance please!
              clayhendrix

"How do you make a portal that pulls records from one table and also another table at the same time?"

I suppose the answer to this question lies within the use for the table. -> "I tried making a basic report but the data in the results is actually incorrect. The data is good, just my pulling it out isn't working!"

I looked at your layout fish and see that you want to see associated records from both bait and fishbaitmm, you have to portals set side by side. To me,  better practice is to show related records from fishbaitmm and then add Bait::Type and Bait::Name from the bait table and add fishbaitmm:bestfor? to that portal as well. You can add field to a portal that are from a different table than the portal is set to show records from. However, in this instance, base the portal on the table Bait, then you will not get the data you want (correctly) from fishbaitmm. Thankfully, you can set the portal to show records from fishbaitmm and then add fields from the table bait and the table fishbaitmm.

I did this using your file and it worked.

If you are looking to create a report, this link Creating Filemaker Pro summary... . Using FileMaker Pro . Forum . FileMaker Forums has instructions about how to do so. You must follow them exactly and it is frustrating the first 10 times you do it. If you have problems making the report or the portal, just reply and someone will help you, maybe me!

By the way, I'm glad you came back to FMP. I left once as well and I have found this community to be the key to learning FMP. The community is excellent, in my opinion.

• 4. Re: Simple(?) learning need - guidance please!
                jshimota

Sorry for the delayed reply, off doing other work.  I will dive into this shortly but haven't had time to dig into your reply - totally on me.  Filemakers' website sent me an email reminder and I wanted to not let that hang!  I'll post as soon as I can really focus on this - maybe this weekend or early next week. THANK YOU!