4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 12:30 PM by kbleicken

In WebDirect Refresh Object script step and Popovers work in listview sometimes . . .

This is what I've worked out over several days of head scratching when Refresh Object and Popovers worked perfectly at times and failed in other situations.

In WD both Refresh Object script step works and Popovers open up when there are a small number of records. Not sure of the cutoff, but all is fine with 20 to 30 records. When there are over n records, say 100 records, Refresh Object fails and Popovers don't pop.

The solution that worked for me was to create a 'record_number' field in the list view table. The start of the script finds all records, sorts by last name, and inserts a serial number. Then set a couple of global fields 'begin_search' and 'end_search' and set them to 1 and 20. (for example). Do the search from 'begin search' to 'end search' to display the first 20 records. Popovers open and Refresh Object works perfectly.

Then add 20 to 'begin search' and 'end search' which is triggered by a  > to go the next 20 records. Or < to go back.

If you do a search and change the found set, first find all records and clear out the 'record number' field, insert "" into the 'record number' field, then serialize.

This script which clears out the record number and re-serializes works on 1,000 records in WD in about 1/2 a second, about the time of a screen refresh. (by the way, if you trigger this in FM Pro accessing the file on the server the two insert steps take 15 seconds each)

• 1. Re: In WebDirect Refresh Object script step and Popovers work in listview sometimes . . .
          Suresh

Dear kbleicken,

Open your File, "Edit Layout", Go to "Layout Setup",

In that Select "Views" Tab, Then uncheck "List" & "Table View".

qry1.JPG

Now check in your WebDirect!

Then,

kbleicken wrote:

This script which clears out the record number and re-serializes works on 1,000 records in WD in about 1/2 a second, about the time of a screen refresh. (by the way, if you trigger this in FM Pro accessing the file on the server the two insert steps take 15 seconds each)

Depending upon Internet Speed, Size of Input Data of Record & Script where your File Access speed surely vary!!

Good Luck!!

- Suresh

• 2. Re: In WebDirect Refresh Object script step and Popovers work in listview sometimes . . .
            mikebeargie

You're describing pagination, something that every web developer has done at some point of time to deal with the display of large record sets to web users.

"infinity scrolling" as it's called hasn't really been possible with large data sets until recently as development tools like AJAX have been improved to handle the data throughput to match the interface.

That said, almost any list view I make for webdirect is text-only. I only use merge text fields to display the pertinent information on the screens. They are the simplest and lightest way to display data. I don't use popovers (because they will eventually contribute to slow performance if they're on the same layout). The basic concept is that list views will multiply the number of objects needed to draw your view so many times that it starts to fail drawing, like what you're seeing.

While I'm sure the infinity scrolling in webdirect will be improved in subsequent versions (it's already loads better in 14 than it was in 13), I'm still using the "list selection -> form detail" model, and not trying to make any of my WebDirect apps "single screen".

• 3. Re: In WebDirect Refresh Object script step and Popovers work in listview sometimes . . .
              mikebeargie

He WANTS a list view, I wouldn't recommend turning off a list view completely...

• 4. Re: In WebDirect Refresh Object script step and Popovers work in listview sometimes . . .

The list view is necessary in WD  for two reasons. First, because in our typical situation the user needs to review 400 to 600 contacts and approve or not using a check box. Restricting them to a Form View would be unusable.

Refresh Object is needed because it is good to show the user that that name has been approved as the volunteer in charge of that contact and that name is inserted into a visible field to the user.

The Popovers are needed in those special cases where a different name should be inserted as the in charge volunteer.

The point of this is that by navigating in found sets of 20 or 30 it gets around any scrolling issues in WB, and just as important it makes Refresh Object and the Popovers work perfectly.

Speed is totally acceptable here using standard Comcast web connections and the excellent PointInSpace web hosting.

Thanks for your thoughts.