10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 6:37 AM by Kaps_1

insert file

Kaps_1

Hello,

I am trying to insert a pdf file (created by Filemaker) into a fied. I am using the Insert Field step, but nothing is being put into the field. The file is currently being stored on the desktop and if i insert it manually, it does appear. Can anybody spot what I am doing wrong ? The script is below:-

email quote.jpg

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards

Kaps

• 1. Re: insert file
          Markus Schneider

check the path, ie by debugger or by showing a custom dialog with $filename. I'm on iPad can't test - but isn't it a slash instead of an backslash - and the filename shoukdn't need the slash anyway

btw. the script saves to the temp folder, not desktop

• 2. Re: insert file
            Mike_Mitchell

You never set $temp_folder. You need to add a Set Variable script step to do this. Something like this:

Set Variable [ $temp_folder ; Get ( TemporaryPath ) ]

• 3. Re: insert file
              erolst

Try removing the Enter Preview Mode[] step.

• 4. Re: insert file
                Markus Schneider

same for $job_id..

I would start over with that script, from scratch

- define variables

- get desired records (find, etc)

- set correct state (browse)...

- export to $filepath (with filename)

-> then check for that file

• 5. Re: insert file
                  clind

Also remember, if you are inserting a pdf, you need to start the file path with "imagewin:". It won't work if you leave this out.

• 6. Re: insert file
                    Kaps_1

Thanks - I should have pointed out that I only posted the relevant part of the script - not the whole lot. It has been working succesfully for a couple of months until I had to make a change.

kind regards

Kaps

• 7. Re: insert file
                      Kaps_1

Thanks - can you explain how to add imagewin to the filepath ? And what if you have a Mac ? (The client has a network of both Macs and windows).

• 8. Re: insert file
                        Kaps_1

erolst - Thanks for your suggestion to get rid of Enter Preview mode. I have put it back in Browse mode as per the script below (which also shows that all variables have been defined) - but I still don't get the file beingemail quote NEW.jpg stored. Any suggestions ?

• 9. Re: insert file
                          erolst

Kaps_1 wrote:

erolst - Thanks for your suggestion to get rid of Enter Preview mode. I have put it back in Browse mode as per the script below

Well, when I said “get rid of it” I meant it; just like Print[], Save Records as PDF[] doesn't require you to switch to Preview mode; these operations will automatically create their output based on it. So you can optimize your script by avoiding the potentially expensive switching back and fro between P and B mode.

(By the same (or a similar) token, you don't need to Show All Records before performing a Find.)

Now, is the field into which you want to insert actually on the layout?

• 10. Re: insert file
                            Kaps_1

Thank you erolst - putting the field on the layout solved the trick. Much appreciated.