1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 1:17 PM by SteveMartino

Expanding contact database with newsletter

BKamp

Hi guys!

I have used FM’s standard contact template to create a contact database. I’ve kept the structure intact and like to expand it’s features with a newsletter system which can keep track who received what letters.

Ive already created an interest table with two fields:

• CONTACT ID MATCHING FIELD (number)
      • interests (text)

The purpose of this table is to be able to assign interests to each contact!

I’ve linked the standard contact table to my new interest table with CONTACT ID MATCHING FIELD = CONTACT ID MATCHING FIELD.

I’ve allowed creation and delete in the interests table trough this relationship

That part was easy for me, now I’m stuck on how to (step by step):

1. create a custom newsletter (content will vary with each letter, layout will stay the same)
      2. Letter must use merge fields of contacts that share one or more interests based on selection (example, print only letters with people that interest in Filemaker)
      3. Must print the letter and a sticker label with address-info to pdf format so we can save and print it. We actually wanna sent the physical letter by post
      4. keep track that that letter was printed for that contact in a portal or somehow on the contact detail layout

Imagine I have 300 contacts, 40 interest in Filemaker, I would have to create a selection of those 40 people and assign a newsletter to them from the newsletter table I imagine. After that with one scripted button click step 2-4 from above should be executed.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Expanding contact database with newsletter
          SteveMartino

I made my own...it needs fine tuning.  Basically it takes a form letter, lets you pick who to send it to.  Then it can either print all the same letter to all the people in the found set, or build each letter, so you can customize each one.  Then after printing it gives you the option to put a either a copy of the letter for each customer (separate related table) or just that a certain type of letter was sent on a certain day.

For example, for newsletters, in the Customer's contact table it will just say:

10/15/15 - fall newsletter

But for something more important:

10/15/15 - late invoice notice - then a box with a container field with the letter saved as a PDF.

When I get a chance I could strip it down to just the essentials and post it.

You can also google FileMaker Letter Writing.  I think I saw a module someone built (maybe FM Starting Point), plus there are videos on youtube.

The one I built was based on the VTC FileMaker 12 video training by John Mark Osborne.