1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 8:42 AM by shaunbicheno

Filemaker print setup bug?

StevieP

Version: Filemaker Pro 14

Printer: Xerox ColorQube 8580

Filemaker will ignore print setup and print settings (printing to the wrong tray) unless you manually open the Print window from the menu and cancel (so no settings are changed). I believe Filemaker does not properly load certain settings until this is done. From then on, Filemaker prints correctly.

• 1. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
          TSPigeon

StevieP:

Thank you for your post.

There are no reports of this issue in FileMaker Pro 14.0.2.

You may want to start by verifying your printer drivers are up to date and compatible with Windows 8. Also, have you reproduced this behavior on a separate printer?

I look forward to your response.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
            StevieP

This behaviour is identical on two very different printers (and very different drivers):

Xerox Phaser 3320

Xerox ColorQube 8560

This behaviour happens on 4 different computers, all running Filemaker Pro 14, all running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

In every case, Filemaker will ignore the Script steps that configure and print to a specific tray. What Filemaker DOES recognize, is the name of the printer (as in: it always prints to the correct printer) but it will not print to the correct tray until I manually press CTRL+P and then close the window by canceling. Before that, the Print script step does not execute as it should.

Filemaker is also fully updated, all drivers are the most recent (but I also tried with older versions just in case).

• 3. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
              TSPigeon

StevieP:

Thank you for your response.

If you could provide a little more information for me:

-Do you know if this issue is new to FileMaker Pro 14?

-Did you have this issue in FileMaker Pro 13 or older?

-Also, do you receive this behavior in a New File or Starter Solution as well?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                StevieP

- I don't know if this was an issue in the older versions - it used to work fine with our old Brother printer but I recall having similar trouble with the printer we had before that but that printer let me disable trays so Filemaker couldn't print to the wrong tray.

- this behaviour happens everywhere - I tried to make a new file to test and it happened there as well.

The odd thing is: I can make a script that first does print setup and then print, with the dialog not disabled so they pop open - and even when I manually select the right tray, Filemaker will often ignore these settings too. In fact, if I let a script open the print window, the trick to circumvent this bug won't work. I HAVE to do it manually by pressing CTRL+P - and this is why I know it's a Filemaker bug.

• 5. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                  TSPigeon

StevieP:

Thank you for your response.

I am unable to reproduce this behavior in my environment. I am going to forward this information and your post to Testing and Development. When I receive any feedback I will let you know!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                    StevieP

Thank you! Perhaps they can look into compatibility with Xerox printers on Windows platform specifically if they don't find anything at first.

• 7. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                      TSPigeon

StevieP:

Thank you for your patience.

It seems Testing and Development is aware of this issue. They wanted to know if, instead of using Print Setup, just using the Specify Print Options for the Print script step. They believe using settings on the Print script step should give you the result you desire.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                        StevieP

I believe this is the same advice as can be found here:

Unable to print to a specific printer tray via a script | FileMaker

But this was one of the first things I tried and it does not work. In fact, if I do it this way, my work-around no longer works.

• 9. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                          TSPigeon

StevieP:

I'll add this information to the report and let you know once I've received further information.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                            JeffHenry

Hello,

I have also encountered this issue in FileMaker 14 64-Bit, but on Windows 10.

Basically, when you enter your settings in the Print Setup menu, the settings don't carry over to the Print dialog.To recreate,

1) Open FileMaker 14 in Windows 10.

2) Go to File->Print Setup

3) Pick any printer settings

4) Save the printer setup by clicking "OK"

5) Go to File->Print

6) Verify if the print setup carried over.

Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, i performed the above steps in FileMaker 14 on Windows 7 and the Print Setup carried over appropriately.

I also ran a basic script with the following:

Print Setup []

Pause

Print[]

Scripting resulting in the same outcome.

• 11. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                              Fred(CH)

In order to configure printer settings with FileMaker Pro, use the properties displayed within the dialog box "Print" instead of "Print setup"; the latter is supposed to have only effect on the page settings (A4, Letter, Portrait, Landscape, Margins).

I don't know why, under Windows only, Print setup (Page setup in fact) is displaying all the printer's options. It is not the case on OS X where only page settings are displayed.

• 12. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                                TSPigeon

StevieP:

Thank you for your patience.

If the issue persists while using the Print script step without relying on the Print Setup the only Work Around we have is to print manually. I will watch the report to see if any further resolution is met. When more information is provided, I will post it here.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                                  cstowell@crown-point.com

This is something I can recreate in Windows 7 and 10 with FM13 and 14 with an HP M605n. Script worked for years with many other vintages of HP printers and stopped with the M605n. All we were doing however was setting up and showing them the dialog to ensure the correct printer is selected. We saved the script with the M605n and it will hold the page properties and still functions the same with all our older printers.

• 14. Re: Filemaker print setup bug?
                                    TSPigeon

Craig:

I will add your comment to the report. At this time, the Work Around is to Print Manually. When any more information becomes available, I will let you know!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next