5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 6:07 AM by

send form to members soccer club

ZWW

Hi,

The local soccer club asked me tot manage the members administration (N=300).

I would like to send an email to all the members and attach to the message the form that contains their addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. Each member should receive only his own data of course. Then I can ask them to check the data and send me any changes they want  to make.

The sending of the email is easy enough via File/send/mail etc. But attaching the specific form to each message is my problem.

Is there a way tot do this ?

Many thanks

ZWW

• 1. Re: send form to members soccer club
          erolst

Try a script like

Go to Layout [ MemberForm ( Member ) ]

# [ find applicable members, or show all ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $path ; Get ( TemporaryPath ) & "member.pdf" ]

Save Records as PDF [ no dialog ; current record ; $path ]

Send Mail [ attachment: $path ; etc. ]

Go to Record/Request [ next ; exit after last ]

End Loop

This assumes that you don't want to keep the saved PDFs, so you can use the Temp directory and a generic name (which means each new PDF overwrites the previous one).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: send form to members soccer club

Dear Erolst,

Thanks for your swift response.

However it is a bit too difficult for me. I do not succeed to copy your script into the script window.

Should I type 'loop' or not ?

When I choose 'set variable' it asks for a name of the variable.....

I would like to attach a picture of the form with the field names, but the camera up here is greyed out.

The name of the Layout I want to send is 'Form'

The most important fields are:

MemberNumber

MemberName

EmailAddress

For purposes of trying out, the rest is not necessary I think.

Could you give me some more specific indications ?

Many thanks

ZWW

• 3. Re: send form to members soccer club
              erolst

Guest wrote:

Should I type 'loop' or not ?

When I choose 'set variable' it asks for a name of the variable.....

You can't paste that text into the script editor / workspace; you need to recreate the steps. (If you have 14, you can either type the step name, or its initials, or select the step from the list on the right; if you have <14, you can only select it from the list on the left.)

And yes, if you add the step Set Variable, it would like you to enter the variable's name and value (calculation). Most steps have one or more options to set.

As to the “form” (“layout” is the FileMaker term) – simply design it how you would like the sent-out PDF to look like. The script itself doesn't care what layout you use, and I was more concerned with your question about “how to create individualized documents and attach them to the respective mail”.

• 4. Re: send form to members soccer club

Dear Erolst,

Thank you again for your efforts to help me. At least it is encouraging to know that what I want is possible.

I downloaded a document of all the script steps and I will try to get a better feel for the scripting process. I will let you know if I succed.

Kind regards

ZWW

• 5. Re: send form to members soccer club

Dear Erolst,

Yes ! it works. It took me a while to understand the set variable command.

Proud of myself en grateful to you.

Many thanks

ZWW