5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 2:32 AM by mactastic

Non Linear Repeating value

mactastic

i am making a solution for budget management.

But here is a problem that i can not solve. Here it is

i need a solution to repeat the same value in a record but not every record but every 15 records

So when i make a record and i fill in a value the i make 14 more records and record number 15 must have the same value as record number 1. This must happen automatically so i don't forget  the value must be there

i can not get my head around it

• 1. Re: Non Linear Repeating value
          erolst

A record is a “15th record” if e.g.

not Mod ( Get ( RecordNumber ) ; 15 )

i.e. divide your counter (whatever that may be) by 15, and if there is no remainder – bingo.

Rather than the record number (which is a function of the found set), you may want to use e.g. the/an auto-entered, incrementing serial number/ID.

btw, unless I'm mistaken, “every 15th” is linear.

• 2. Re: Non Linear Repeating value

you are not mistaking "very sharp"

i wil try your solution, but to be more specific. i make a record and i fill 100 euro in a field then 13 records 25 euro in the field and when i come to  the 15 record " thats the 15 year of my budget"  i need a reminder to put again 100 euro in the field. Or i must be filed in for me.

This must be the case with more record with a different item and different amount of money \

does that make sense

• 3. Re: Non Linear Repeating value
              mactastic

you are not mistaking "very sharp"

i wil try your solution, but to be more specific. i make a record and i fill 100 euro in a field then 13 records 25 euro in the field and when i come to  the 15 record " thats the 15 year of my budget"  i need a reminder to put again 100 euro in the field. Or i must be filed in for me.

This must be the case with more record with a different item and different amount of money \

does that make sense

• 4. Re: Non Linear Repeating value
                erolst

Well, all is possible in theory; in practice, this is a question of your workflow.

If you really want to enter a number of records en masse to model a year range, you may as well do it via a script; and there you would know exactly what record of that new bunch you're on, and you can set any value explicitly (taking into account existing values, or default values etc.).

Is that is your scenario? Or do you add records piece-meal? In that case, if you can identify an associated set, that idea still holds, as in: you have an Account record that starts with 2010; when you enter 2024, the system “knows” this is record #15 … etc.

Of course, this too is (usually) easier, more flexible and less fragile if you do with a script, rather than an auto-enter calculation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Non Linear Repeating value
                  mactastic

i will try this i think this is the way to do it

" you have an Account record that starts with 2010; when you enter 2024, the system “knows” this is record #15 … etc."

tnx