4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2015 9:43 AM by TSPigeon

Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?

aust_jes

When trying to open a database, this message comes up and the file will not open. How do I get past this to the database?

• 1. Re: Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?
          siplus

This message usually comes when you drag and drop a (text) file on Filemaker's icon, a text file that has an encoding FM is not happy with.

I never saw it while opening a database file.

• 2. Re: Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?
            TSPigeon

aust_jes:

Thank you for your post.

If you could provide a little further information for us:

-What version of FileMaker Pro are you using to access the database?

-Is this a new Database File?

-Has this file been converted up from an older version?

-Are you receiving this error when converting or after converting?

-When receiving this error, is the file hosted or local to the machines using FileMaker Pro?

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?
              aust_jes

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v5The database is not new - using about 2 yearsFile has not been convertedFile is local

Thanks for your help,JES

To: Jim Sulik <aust_jes@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, October 9, 2015 10:57 AM

Subject: Re:  - Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?

#yiv9647216275 * #yiv9647216275 a #yiv9647216275 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9647216275 #yiv9647216275 h1, #yiv9647216275 h2, #yiv9647216275 h3, #yiv9647216275 h4, #yiv9647216275 h5, #yiv9647216275 h6, #yiv9647216275 p, #yiv9647216275 hr {}#yiv9647216275 .yiv9647216275content p #yiv9647216275 .yiv9647216275content li #yiv9647216275 .yiv9647216275button td {}#yiv9647216275 .yiv9647216275footer #yiv9647216275 .yiv9647216275footer a

|

|

Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?

reply from TSPigeon in Discussions - View the full discussionaust_jes: Thank you for your post. If you could provide a little further information for us:-What version of FileMaker Pro are you using to access the database?-Is this a new Database File?-Has this file been converted up from an older version?-Are you receiving this error when converting or after converting?-When receiving this error, is the file hosted or local to the machines using FileMaker Pro? I look forward to your response! TSPigeonFileMaker, Inc.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following Translator for this file could not be found or initialized? in these streams: Inbox

|

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

|

• 4. Re: Translator for this file could not be found or initialized?
                TSPigeon

aust_jes

Thank you for your response.

There are no known issues for this situation. You might check if a New Starter Solution gives you this problem. Also, an uninstall and reinstall of FileMaker Pro 13.0v9 would be a great step to see if it's a software issue. Running Recovery may be a good idea as well to see if it reports damage or resolves possible minor damage it's running into.

I hope this information is of use and let us know what you find.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.