13 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:00 AM by TSGal

Truncated Radio Button Text

Malcolm

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.2

Value list options display properly in Browse mode and in Preview Mode.

When printed the options are truncated.

Options of a single word may or may not have the last letter removed.

Options of several words may have the last word removed or may be replaced entirely by a question mark.

Message was edited by: Malcolm Fitzgerald Changed the title from Check box to Radio Button

• 1. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
          TSGal

Malcolm:

Thank you for your post.

Is the value list a custom list or based on a field?

How many items are in the value list?

What font and size is being used for the field?

Are you using a built-in theme or a custom theme?

Is there any conditional formatting applied to the field?

If you save to PDF and open the PDF file, does it show correctly?  If showing correctly, what printer and model is being used?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
            Malcolm

Hi TSGal,

Is the value list a custom list or based on a field?

The issue affects custom lists and list based on a field. Two of the

value lists are based on fields and in both cases the value list uses

two fields and only the second field is displayed.

How many items are in the value list?

This issue is affecting fields using many different value lists. The

shortest list contains two items. The longest lists contain eleven items.

What font and size is being used for the field?

The font is Helvetica Regular 16. There are no attributes applied, ie,

neither bold, italic, underline nor hiliter are used.

Are you using a built-in theme or a custom theme?

The file was created before themes were introduced. Classic theme has

been applied during conversion using FMPAdv 14.

Is there any conditional formatting applied to the field?

Conditional formatting has not been applied to any of the fields that

are affected.

If you save to PDF and open the PDF file, does it show correctly?  If

showing correctly, what printer and model is being used?

The problem is evident in the PDF.

When opening the file in FMP 14 on Windows 8 the problem appears in

browse mode and it is evident in PDF. When opening the file using

Windows Ultimate 7.1 the problem is not evident when in browse mode,

however a PDF generated from that layout displays the problem.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down

the possible causes.

The file was created originally with v9. It has been running on FMSA v11

for several years. It was recently converted to the new file format

using FMA14 and placed onto FMS v14. The problem is not evident on Mac

OS X.

malcolm

• 3. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
              TSGal

Malcolm:

Thank you for the information.

Go into Layout mode, add another instance of one of the fields, format the field for Radio buttons and see if the issue still occurs. 

If the issue still occurs, create a new layout using the migrated Classic theme, bring one of the fields onto the layout, format the field for Radio buttons and see if the issue occurs.

If the issue still occurs, change the new layout to a built-in theme and see if the issue still occurs.

Try changing to a different font that is prevalent under Windows, like Arial.

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                Malcolm

Hi TSGal,

I'll make those experiments and let you know the results.

thanks,

Malcolm

• 5. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                  Malcolm

Go into Layout mode, add another instance of one of the fields, format

the field for Radio buttons and see if the issue still occurs.

Done. The issue still occurs.

If the issue still occurs, create a new layout using the migrated

Classic theme, bring one of the fields onto the layout, format the

field for Radio buttons and see if the issue occurs.

Done. The issue still occurs.

If the issue still occurs, change the new layout to a built-in theme

and see if the issue still occurs.

Done. The issue does not occur when using default formats of a built-in

theme.

Try changing to a different font that is prevalent under Windows,

like Arial.

Done. The issue still occurs

• 6. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                    TSGal

Malcolm:

Thanks for testing.  This helps narrow down the possible causes considerably, and it is probably related to the Classic Theme.

With the new layout using the built-in theme, change the field format to Helvetica Regular 16 point; the same formatting you had with the Classic Theme.  If this fails, then what was the font originally used with the built-in theme?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                      Malcolm

This helps narrow down the possible causes considerably, and it is probably related to the Classic Theme.

Perhaps the Classic Theme is exposing a problem that is more general. I created a new layout and applied the Vibrant theme. I made some changes to the header background and saved it as a new theme. I then added a field, selected a value list and formatted it as a radio button set.

In the default setting the radio button options displayed correctly. However, a little tweaking with the padding options generated the same sort of truncation as we see in the Classic theme.

I've attached an image which shows the field before and after changes. In the first image I have applied 1px of padding to the right hand side without any noticeable effect. In the second image I have applied 2px of padding to the right hand side and the value list options are truncated.

The field boundaries are highlighted and it is apparent that there is plenty of room for 2px of padding.

It should be noted that the items which have been truncated are shorter than other options which have not been affected.

formatting issue for radio buttons.png

• 8. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                        TSGal

Malcolm:

Our Testing department would like to see a copy/clone of your database file to determine why this is occurring.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                          Malcolm

I've forwarded a copy of the file.

thank you,

Malcolm

• 10. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                            TSGal

Malcolm:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I can definitely replicate the issue on both Mac OS X 10.11 and Windows 7.  This appears to be more than just a "Classic" theme issue.  When I create a new layout and use a built-in theme (Enlightened), I still get the field truncation.  I have sent the file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                              Malcolm

I wonder if this issue is related.

In the calculation dialog box ( I've seen this in Custom Functions, Data Viewer and Script Workspace ), enlarge the box until it is very wide. Enter a visible character as a marker, then move the cursor to the left of that character and generate a string of tab characters by pressing Option - Tab repeatedly. The line will be wrapped onto the next line long before the marker character gets near the right hand side of the window. Generating a long line by pasting visible characters into the dialog box does not show the same bug. In that case, the text wraps correctly.

• 12. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                                TSGal

Malcolm:

This is a different issue, and only occurs under Mac OS X.  In essence, the calculation dialog will line wrap early if there is more than one tab character in the line, as the wrapping will occur at the second tab, even when there is enough room to display more of the line.  The forum user "darrenburgess" reported this at:    Calcuation dialog:  line wraps if there is more than one tab in the line

Testing has confirmed your issue and sent it to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Truncated Radio Button Text
                                  TSGal

Malcolm:

The right padding issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.