5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 2:54 PM by keywords

Invoice Script Duplexing

strra

Hello all.

I come to you knowing next to nothing about FileMaker..

I am doing some IT work for a company that uses FileMaker for invoicing. She created a script that will create the invoice and print it.. However, on one printer, the exact script will print on the BACK of the page.

All duplexing options are turned off in the printer settings and all other applications don't duplex, however whenever something is printed from FileMaker, it'll come out on the back of the page.

Does anyone have any insight on where I could look to figure out this perplexing issue? I'm about to pull my hair out.

Thank you in advance!

-Randy

• 1. Re: Invoice Script Duplexing
          fclark

the "print setup" script step could be a problem. Does it specify a printer or duplex options. Are the defaults restored via another "print step" script step after printing?

• 2. Re: Invoice Script Duplexing
            keywords

In your Filemaker script you need to explicitly set all the print settings you want to use, using the Print Setup and Print steps. I suggest creating a script that does just those two steps, name it appropriately, and then call it from the report script.

• 3. Re: Invoice Script Duplexing
              strra

Thanks guys,
              I will get more information from the user and follow up.

• 4. Re: Invoice Script Duplexing
                strra

Hello again. I emailed her your response and she said that if she changes the script on this computer (which is a "remote" computer), it makes the main computer print duplexed.. So if she fixes one, it messes up the other.

She emailed me the script:

Go to Layout [ "Packing Slip" (New Billing) ]

Print Setup [ Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

Print [ Current record; All Pages; Number pages from: 3048; Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

Go to Layout [ "Packing Slip Office Copy (New Billing) ]

Print Setup [ Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

Print [ Current record; All Pages; Number pages from: 3048; Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

Go to Layout [ "Packing/Invoice Setup Data Entry" (New Billing) ]

Print Setup, Specify Properties

Paper Source: Auto Select

Paper Size: Letter

Paper Type: Unspecified

Orientation: Portrait

Print On Both Sides: No

Page per Sheet: 1 Page per Sheet

Any ideas?

Thanks again...

-Randy

• 5. Re: Invoice Script Duplexing
                  keywords

I suggested in my previous post that you put just the Print Setup and Print steps in a script, and then call that as a subscript at the appropriate stage in any script which is generating a report. Do this for any variation of print configuration you require. It sounds like you may need extend this to include which computer you are printing from.

For example, I have two printers I regularly use from FM, one of which has a second paper tray. I have print scripts to cover configurations such as:  laser printer, main tray, portrait; laser printer, upper tray, landscape; inkjet printer, DL envelope; etc.