1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 2:54 AM by erolst

Questions regarding tallying a vote

srbridges

I need a solution for counting votes for an organization that awards grants. Members will use paper ballots, which will be counted by a team of 4 people using Filemaker Go on a locally hosted network. There are 5 categories of grants, each having 2 finalists. The number of votes each member gets is the same as the number of grants awarded which can vary each year (from 1 to 5), with the restriction that a member may vote for no more than one finalist from each category. [This year we are awarding 4 grants, so each member gets 4 votes.] I have successfully defined value lists that show the finalists from each category. (ArtsFinalists, EdFinalists, etc in the Relationship Graph)

I want a single layout where I can create 4 records in the Vote table for each member voting. My idea is show a portal? 5 portals?,  displaying the finalists from each category and the member will choose one finalist from 4 of them. But I don't know how to do that so that 4 records are created in the Votes table. I thought about using one portal with checkboxes, but I can't figure out how to count the checkboxes without "hard coding" the finalists names. I would like for this solution to be able to be used each year without any change to the structure of the database except updating the finalists names in the Finalists table.

Here is my relationship graph. I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 8.45.49 PM.png

• 1. Re: Questions regarding tallying a vote
          erolst

srbridges wrote:

I would like for this solution to be able to be used each year without any change to the structure of the database except updating the finalists names in the Finalists table.

Then consider a structure along these lines:

Categories --< CategoryInYear --< FinalistInCategoryInYear >-- People

Which means that a) you preserve your “historical” data, and b) can effortlessly add new categories (as seems to be common with awards …) 

Now display five filtered portals to show the 4x2 CandidateInCategoryInYear records. A judge's click on a candidate then would increase their vote tally, and record with highest vote value per category & year is WinnerInCategoryInYear …