6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 12:54 PM by kjmfum

max of a summary field

kjmfum

Anyone please know if it's possible to get the maximum of a summary field and how to go about it

• 1. Re: max of a summary field
          erolst

What type of summary field?

You could simply use another summary field “MaxOf” : for the same data field.

• 2. Re: max of a summary field

I dont know where to find the summary field "maxof".

i Have a calculation (customer balance=amount total-amount paid)

it sums up all the customer balances for the individual customers but I am not able to find the total of all the customer balances

• 3. Re: max of a summary field
              erolst

Guest wrote:

I dont know where to find the summary field "maxof".

i Have a calculation (customer balance=amount total-amount paid)

it sums up all the customer balances for the individual customers but I am not able to find the total of all the customer balances

OK, so what is your data model / structure? Something like

Customer --< Invoices/Orders --< LineItems ?

And do you really want to see a maximum, or simply a total per customer across all their invoices/orders?

• 4. Re: max of a summary field

okay

DOING MY BEST TO EXPLAIN. PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND AND ASK FOR ANY CLARIFICATION AS NEEDED.

i have two tables namely customer details and customer sheet.

in customer details I have the name, location, phone numbers and other details of the customer. There is a relation between this table and the customer sheet via the customer name.

in customer sheet table I have customer name,  item bought, unit price, amount total and amount paid. Sometimes amount paid is not up to the total price(amount total) of the product thereby leaving a customer balance. I have an unstored calculation field which calculates the customer balance( amount total-amount paid)

I use a portal to display the customer balance for each customer in the customer detail table. It does it nicely that if I choose any customer I get the full amount owed if any. So I created a layout which shows all the customers and their customer balances but I am unable to add it to get the total amount all the customers owe.

• 5. Re: max of a summary field
                  erolst

Guest wrote:

Sometimes amount paid is not up to the total price(amount total) of the product thereby leaving a customer balance. I have an unstored calculation field which calculates the customer balance( amount total-amount paid)

[…]

So I created a layout which shows all the customers and their customer balances but I am unable to add it to get the total amount all the customers owe.

You can get that by creating a summary field in CustomerSheet: “Total of:” for CustomerBalance. Then either show all records in CustomerSheet, or find only those where balance > 0. The summary field will now display the total amount owed to you.

• 6. Re: max of a summary field
                    kjmfum

wwell I am not able to get a leading group summary but happy that I get it when I go through find mode. Thanks very much