1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 10:11 PM by bigtom

Reference problem...

admagic

I know this is probably an amateur problem, but that's what I am! I have a table of components and another table of systems that use those components. They are linked by Component Name and I select components from a drop-down list (based on a Values List derived from component names) in the system table. The problem is that any time I select a component for a system (from the systems table) it generates another (blank, except for the component name) entry in the components table and thus doesn't carry across any of the other information on the component table for that component. It also results in a duplicate entry. If I delete that duplicate, the system table record that carried itr goes blank. I cannot select the actual component. I also have a reference field in the components table that tells me what systems it is used in, so I think I'm dealing with some sort of circular reference, but I can'[t work out what to do...can anyone help? I'm happy to send the database for you to look at...I'm flummoxed! Thanks...

• 1. Re: Reference problem...
          bigtom

It seems you would want to do a value list and entry based on the component table and not the system table because all the data is actually in the components table. I am not sure how you have this setup, but the system table is the one that needs to be populated by the component table. Change your value list, fields and/or portals to be based on components instead of systems and see what happens there. You may also want to set the relationship to create new records via relationship in the system table but not in the component table.

I would also suggest linking (relating) the tables with a key of some sort instead of a Component Name. This can cause confusion as it is now.