7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2015 11:22 AM by jdevans

Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14

jdevans

I just upgraded to FM14 from 13. On a layout created in FM13 that has a large container field, set to Interactive, before the upgrade, if I inserted a pdf file into that container field, it would render inside the field.

Now in FM14, that same layout triggers the native Adobe Acrobat program to launch, displaying the contents of the interactive field in a separate Adobe Acrobat window.

Setup: Windows 7, 64-bit machine, Filemaker Pro 14 Advanced, File is hosted on FM 13 Server, Container storage- external on server,

Is there a work-around for this issue?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14

I have the same issue. Everything works fine in FM 13 but PDFs will only display outside of the container. In our case using Acrobat Pro 11. Tried it on Win 7, 8, and 10 with no change. Hope someone can explain this soon.

• 2. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14
            hmpsltd

My issue is solved for now.  I noticed when I was looking at Acrobat versions in Manage Ad-ons that Acrobat Reader was 32 bit only. I have seen other compatibility issues when mixing the 32 bit apps with the 64 bit apps. I loaded the latest version of Acrobat DC and double checked that it was 64 bit in Manage Ad-ons. My interactive containers started working again. So not an expert here but I suspect FM13 works because it was compatible with the 32 bit reader. FM14 64 bit not compatible with the Acrobat Reader 32 bit add on.

• 3. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14
              jdevans

From what perspective/application is "Manage Ad-ons?"

Is that inside FileMaker somewhere, or inside Acrobat? Or inside the Windows OS?

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro X. Do I also need to install the reader application?

• 4. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14
                hmpsltd

In Windows, the Manage add-ons can be found in the Internet Settings control panel under the Programs tab

Select “All add-ons” on the lower left panel. You should see the Adobe PDF reader in the list.

If you are on a 64bit OS. The reader should say 32 bit and 64 bit under the Architecture Column.

I am running Acrobat Pro 11 and Acrobat Reader DC .

The browser Add On is part of the Acrobat Installation package. I installed the latest Acrobat Reader DC for 64 bit OS  and my containers started working again.

Hope it works for you.

Rob

• 5. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14
                  jdevans

I still have Acrobat Pro X, but I installed the latest Adobe Acrobat DC reader, and it now shows up in Manage Add-Ons as 32 and 64 bit. Now when I go to a layout in FM14 that has an interactive container, field, a small Acrobat window pops up asking if I want to Open or Save the File.

If I click Open, it opens in Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I went back to manage Add Ons and disabled Adobe Acrobat Pro, and still behaves the same way as above.

Still not opening in the container field like it did in FM13. This PISSES me off. FileMaker needs to get on this right away.

I didn't have to make any adjustments like this before FM14. Now it's a mess. Report a Product Issue time

• 6. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14
                    hmpsltd

Sorry it did not work for you. Unfortunately I can’t much additional help.  I did right click a PDF file on my desktop and tell it to open with Acrobat Reader under properties. You might try that and then poke around in the Acrobat Preferences and see if there is any controls there.

• 7. Re: Interactive Container field w/PDF not working- FM14
                      jdevans

I just spoke with a FileMaker technical support rep. He says that the official position on this issue, as far as FileMaker is concerned is, the way it behaves (problematically in my view) is NORMAL. The way it behaved when I first created it was apparently a bug. Whatever.

The other problem now is, if I put a pdf file in a container field, it shows blank. Yet if I put a powerpoint file in there, it shows a powerpoint icon with the name of the file. If I put a picture in there, it shows the actual picture file. This is so confusing. In my opinion, these container fields need a lot of work from the filemaker developers.