1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 8:50 AM by TSGal

Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.

oeplummer

If you do not close all the open scripts in the Scripts Management Window before you close that window, the top menu remains the Scripts Top Menu and most of the menu items are greyed out. You cannot change the mode to Browse, Layout, Search, etc. You can quit. Quitting seems to be the only way to reset the top menu to normal. Quitting is not always possible if you happen to be using the main computer serving as the peer-to-peer server. Everyone else has to be informed that they have to quit Filemaker so you can restart the Filemaker serving as the peer-to-peer server. A pain for sure. (Apple, Yosemite, Filemaker Pro 14 latest update).

Let us see how long it takes to correct this bug.

• 1. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
          TSGal

oeplummer:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to reproduce your issue.  However, while trying to test this with FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 under Mac OS X 10.11, I did experience a crash, and I have forwarded the crash report and my sample file to Development and Testing for review.

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  What operating system?  What version of the operating system?

Does this occur for all files or just a specific file?

How many separate script windows do you have open?

Please provide any other information to help me replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
            oeplummer

Hi TSGal,

Until today, Filemaker 14.0.2 was on all the machines, each machine updated to Yosemite, the latest version. I work from various machines (a client or the master database server), depending upon the available options and mood. This struck Script menu problem has occurred with various files. I only work with one Script Management window open, though I do recognize that it is possible to have more than one open. The constant is the presence of various tabs showing various scripts, some or none of which have been changed. I then forget to close each script tab, leaving some tabs open, and hit the red button, closing the Script Management window.

If I close each tab in turn and save any changes, I then safely close the Script Management window by hitting the red button. I tend not to use the menus to work with the scripts except to duplicate a script.

Ed Plummer

• 3. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
              TSGal

oeplummer:

Thank you for the additional information.

Although it doesn't help you, I still cannot replicate this issue, even with 20 tabs of open scripts.  When I close the Script Workspace, I return to the relevant menus for Browse or Layout modes.  Doing some searching, this issue has never been previously reported.

You mentioned "FileMaker 14.0.2 was on all the machines".  Should I assume that other users were also experiencing this problem?

The next time this occurs, while still fresh in your mind, write down everything that occurred just prior to this happening.  Include the steps taken, other applications open, etc.  This may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                oeplummer

TSGal,

I am the only one during scripting.

Generally only Filemaker and a browser (Safari or Firefox).

Try it with at least one script with unsaved changes.

The machines here have either 8 or 16 gigabyte of memory. The problem does not occur if Filemaker 13 is being used to interact with the Filemaker 14 peer-to-peer server machine.

Ed

• 5. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                  TSGal

oeplummer:

This is what I have done:

1. I have Mail, Safari, Messages, Calendar, and FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 open.

2. I have Script Workspace open with 20 open scripts.  Five of the scripts have been modified, and display with an asterisk.

3. I close the Script Workspace, and I am prompted "You have 5 script(s) from <database file> open with unsaved changes.  Do you want to save these changes before closing?"  I click "Save All", the Script Workspace closes, and I'm back in Browse mode, and I have the expected menus displaying.

What step am I missing?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                    oeplummer

Hi TS Gal,

Does TS stand for Tech Support and Gal an true or false hint at gender identity?

Have you tried it with Filemaker Pro 14.0.2? Have you tried clicking the red button on the Script Management window?

All I know that the script menus persists (in a dimmed out state) under the condition of closing the script management with script tabs open (perhaps with some unsaved changes) on at least two different machines with different histories (a recent-acquired one not currently running an anti-virus and less recent machine that started out with Lion Server and now running simple Yosemite with an anti-virus. The more recent machine may or may not have Google Earth and Firefox running. The older machine may or may not running Firefox, often with an archive file on a radio station web site being streamed. Generally, but not always, other people are accessing the files of the database system. The more recent machine serves as the peer-to-peer server. To avoid this situation, I have to close all the script tabs before closing the script management window.

I have never been prompted with a dialogue box asking to save scripts when I hit the red button. I might have been luck using the menus.

Maybe with Filemaker 14.0.3 on all machines, the problem may go away.

Ed Plummer

• 7. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                      TSGal

oeplummer:

I have found a machine with Mac OS X 10.10.5, and I have just installed FileMaker Pro 14.0.2.

After launching FileMaker Pro 14.0.2, I created a database file, "Names.fmp12" with one Text field aptly named "Text".

I entered a few records, went into Script Workspace, and created a three scripts that have all been edited, so there are three script tabs.

I clicked the red button in the upper left corner to close Script Workspace window, and I am prompted "You have 3 script(s) from "Names.fmp12" open with unsaved changes. Do you want to save these changes before closing?".  I click "Save All" button, and I return to my database file in Browse mode, and all the standard FileMaker Pro menus display (File, Edit, View, Insert, etc.).

Let me know what I am doing differently than you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                        oeplummer

TS Gal,

Perhaps if you came here and use the machines here. But I do not have the time to go to many other machines outside of the building and see if the problem occurs.

Ed Plummer

• 9. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                          TSGal

oeplummer:

Testing would like to see a screen recording of the steps taken that shows the Script menus showing after Script Workspace is closed.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the screen recording.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                            oeplummer

Hi TSGal,

Grab (an Apple utility doing screen capture) does do a timed screen capture (which allows for an opportunity to open  the menu before the screen is captured). Is Grab the software to be used for screen recording?

Ed Plummer

• 11. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                              stitchenal

I am also experiencing this issue when I close the scripts window using Yosemite 10.10.5 and FMPro 14.03. Only solution I can find is to quit and restart Filemaker. Not a problem on Windows 7 and FMPro 14.03.

• 12. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                                TSGal

oeplummer:

I generally use QuickTime for screen recordings.  Once in QuickTime Player, pull down the File menu and select "New screen recording".

stitchenal:

I would also like to see a screen recording of this issue.  A private message has also been sent to you with instructions where to send the recording.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                                  TSGal

stitchenal:

I received your screen recording.  Thank you.

The file has been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Script management top menus persisting after Script window is closed.
                                    TSGal

oeplummer:

I received your screen recording.  Thank you.

I have also attached the screen recording to the original report.  When I receive any information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next