5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2016 8:10 PM by bigtom

FileMaker 14 and Mac OS X Photos Drag and Drop

ericjungemann

Hi All,

When the new Photos app appeared in Yosemite, it did not support direct drag and drop into a FileMaker container as iPhoto did.  Fortunately, in iPhoto was not deinstalled in exiting Yosemite updates but is not present on new computers.

It is a reported issue.

I was surprised that FileMaker drag and drop doesn't seem to work in FileMaker 14 either (in either El Capitan or Yosemite) as this is a key Macintosh kind of behavior.

In reading about Photos drag and drop, it appears that the Apple Photos Developers are taking a position that other software providers will provide this functionality as an extension (i.e. FileMaker needs to enable it . . . I might be wrong as I see this stuff on Apple forums).

As a workaround, we download iPhoto to our customer computers but it causes confusion as to which photo viewer is in use locally and with iCloud.  There is always the Dropbox photo sharing feature, which also works.

But each Mac comes with Photos and it should work well with FileMaker.  (I won't belabor the whole 'same company' thing).

Any updates?  It is very hard to explain to our mutual customers.

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: FileMaker 14 and Mac OS X Photos Drag and Drop
          steveromig

Hi All,

When the new Photos app appeared in Yosemite, it did not support direct drag and drop into a FileMaker container as iPhoto did.  Fortunately, in iPhoto was not deinstalled in exiting Yosemite updates but is not present on new computers.

It is a reported issue.

I was surprised that FileMaker drag and drop doesn't seem to work in FileMaker 14 either (in either El Capitan or Yosemite) as this is a key Macintosh kind of behavior.

In reading about Photos drag and drop, it appears that the Apple Photos Developers are taking a position that other software providers will provide this functionality as an extension (i.e. FileMaker needs to enable it . . . I might be wrong as I see this stuff on Apple forums).

As a workaround, we download iPhoto to our customer computers but it causes confusion as to which photo viewer is in use locally and with iCloud.  There is always the Dropbox photo sharing feature, which also works.

But each Mac comes with Photos and it should work well with FileMaker.  (I won't belabor the whole 'same company' thing).

Any updates?  It is very hard to explain to our mutual customers.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric -

This is an issue we are still looking into.

I don't believe the end result / solution will require an extension (although that is an interesting thought.)

As a (not so great) workaround, you can drag the picture from Photos to the Desktop and then into FileMaker Pro.  I don't know if this is any better or worse than the iPhoto workaround you are currently using.  I / We know neither is ideal.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 14 and Mac OS X Photos Drag and Drop
            ericjungemann

Thanks Steve.

Yes, the 'touch the Desktop' approach also works.

So, iPhoto (and you can just move the app from another machine that has it) works from the Photo Stream to FM

Dropbox photo sharing works to FM

And the Photos from iCloud, 'touch the Desktop' approach works as well.

Thanks again for checking.  In our case, lots of operating room photos, pet pictures (on the veterinary side) etc.  And lots of movies into containers in the behavioral and rehab worlds.

Eric

• 3. Re: FileMaker 14 and Mac OS X Photos Drag and Drop
              TSGal

ericjungemann:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 14 and Mac OS X Photos Drag and Drop
                ericjungemann

Hi TSGal,

Great news.  The drag and drop from Photos into FMP 15 on Sierra public beta is instantaneous.

Eric

• 5. Re: FileMaker 14 and Mac OS X Photos Drag and Drop
                  bigtom

As a "workaround" in pre FM15 clients you can install iPhoto by clicking Install from the Purchased tab in the App Store.