0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 9:30 AM by mcdonaaa

IIS and FMS 13

mcdonaaa

An audit is being conducted of all web servers in our data center (at a University) and I am a little confused as to why FMS 13 installs include IIS even when you are not enabling web services. I would appreciate a little help to clarify how this works and why.

Researching this topic, I found this in the FileMaker info and frankly I am even more confused.

"Why the FileMaker Server installer creates its own instance of a web server:

FileMaker Server creates separate instances of the Apache HTTP server (OS X) or IIS (Windows) to perform reverse port forwarding.  Reverse port forwarding allows for forwarding a port on a remote machine (the FileMaker Server) to a local machine while using the connection initiated from the local machine.  This is helpful when you have a remote server and want to connect to something on a local machine but you do not wish to open up your firewall.  Using reverse port forwarding requires that the built-in web servers for OS X (Apache) and Windows (IIS) DO NOT have existing websites that are using ports 80 and 443."

So why do I need this if we don't want to access via a browser? and don't want reverse port forwarding enabled? Note: access to the admin console remotely requires a special vpn connection to that specific server.  I assume the FMS 13 still communicates with client via port 5003.

Also would like to understand why a web server was not required on FMS 12 installs and you could access the console via a browser.

Thanks so much,

Ann