10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 7:11 PM by alquimby

Problem Finding in Drop Down

clayhendrix

I have a field that is displayed as a drop down box based upon a list.

When I click Find, select the value from that drop down box, and then click Perform Find the records the are found are not just those with that value and some of the omitted records are the value I selected.

I created an edit box for the same field on the same layout and attempted a find using the edit box and that gave me the exact same results.

The field is in the same table upon which the table is based.

There are other drop down boxes based upon a list that I can use to search without any issues. Please help me think of some other troubleshooting ideas, if you can.

• 1. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
          erolst

Could it be that your value list items contain invisible characters (namely, blanks), i.e. look, but in fact aren't identical to a field value?

• 2. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
            alquimby

Clay,

Instead of entering a value from the value list, in Find Mode try Insert from Index. If there are values in the field that don't exactly match the value list, you will see them here.

Al Quimby

• 3. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
              Nehme

Is your field in a portal? If so, you might have values that you didn't search for only because the parent record is in the found set.

Check the type of your field (should it be text of number, and you are using it inversely)

Check if there are any script triggers for the field you are mentioning (that run in find mode if chosen to do so)

Check your find script (if you are using a script): is there any unwanted script steps...

• 4. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                clayhendrix

I do not understand what you mean when you say to "Insert from Index." I also do not understand what you say will happen if I do that.

• 5. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                  clayhendrix

I found the problem. There were two issues and I'll list them here in case others have this problem.

1.) The value list had a word misspelled in one of the entries.

2.) Several of the values in the value list contained the same word or portions of words. I was not inserting == to match entire field prior to performing the find. I had never had values in a value list before that were similar in this way and did not realize this was necessary. I wish it was match entire field by default, however, at least I know now.

• 6. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                    alquimby

Clay,

In Find Mode, put your cursor in the field in question, dismiss the Value List, go to the menu at the top, under Insert, choose From Index...

You will see a dialog with all entries in that field. You can tell immediately if there are any errors, meaning values that do not match what is in the Value List. You can select the incorrect entries (one Find at a time), then correct them.

You can also use this method in Browse Mode to enter values.

Al Quimby

• 7. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                      clayhendrix

Allen,

Thanks for this reply months ago. It has proven helpful in different situations. I cannot figure out WHY it is different from just selecting a value from the drop down list itself.

Can you help me understand?

• 8. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                        alquimby

Clay,

If the values in the field exactly match the values in the value list, there will be no difference. However, if someone has entered something in that field that is outside of the value list (even if it is only an extra space), then just finding by value list might cause you to miss something. Those values that are different from the value list are easiest found by Inserting from Index. The Index shows a list of every unique entry in the field in question. As you clean up the data in the field so that entries match the value list, the Index list shrinks. If you clean up everything, the Index will exactly match the value list.

Al

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                          clayhendrix

alquimby

That's very helpful. Basically, the Index you are inserting is a dynamically calculated list of unique values for that field, regardless of whether the field is controlled by a value list, drop down, etc.

It seems that the index would be useful in many other places. Where else do you use Insert Index?

Thanks, again for helping!

• 10. Re: Problem Finding in Drop Down
                            alquimby

Clay,

I use the Index to see what is in a field vs. what should be in the field. That's it. I never use it to enter data in browse mode, but others might.

Al