1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 7:28 AM by KarenRennie

beginners question re: syncing to iPad

KarenRennie

hi, I am getting a bit confused!  I have created a simple database using Filemaker Pro 12 on my Mac laptop.

When I try to sync this to my iPad using Filemaker Go  I am using ITunes. 
      I managed to locate the file and successfully transferred it to the iPad, but when I have made changes

to the file such as layout or added records on the laptop and then synced again, the changes have not been noted.

What am I doing wrong?

I would very much like SIMPLE instructions as I have found the detailed information very complex and

confusing.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
          RubenVanDenBoogaard

You must first close the database in FileMaker Go on the iPad before moving a new version to the iPad.

• 2. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
            KarenRennie

thankyou for quick response.

The changes are still not appearing?

I dragged the amended Filemaker Pro file into the area on iTunes, where I was invited to replace the existing file. I then pressed sync and the activity wheel was spinning on the iPad.  I had closed the file on the iPad, but when I opened it again it was still unchanged?!

• 3. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
              schamblee

I recommend using dropbox to transfer files to ios devices.  It's easier to use.

• 4. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                schamblee

iTunes should overwrite the file.   Try deleting the file from your ipad then copy the new database over.

• 5. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                  Nehme

You are in fact confusing Sync and Transfer.

If you want to have a direct sync between Mac and iPad, you must open your file using network connection (a simple wifi connection will do the work)

On Filemaker Go, go to Hosted, and choose your file from there.

Just make sure that you make your file on the Mac visible to the iPad by adjusting the configuration from your Mac (File --> sharing --> share with fiemaker clients)

But what you are doing is in fact transferring the file to the iPad

If you so, this will not sync.

If you want to sync you data in this case, you must:

- Move your file back again to the Mac where you can replace your original file

or

- Use a third party solution (like GoZync from seedcode) for Sync

or

- Do your own scripting for the sync (needs lots of work)

• 6. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                    bigtom

Using iTunes is a clunky way to do it in my experience. If you just need a one way transfer send the file via email or pull it from a simple web file server.

Although you could make an argument about it "sync" and "transfer" are considered different things in the FM ecosystem.

Is your iPad only viewing records? Does the iPad make changes? A true remote sync does take a bit more complex work, but it is not as bad as people make it sound. Although I do not recommend you venture into it straight away.

In what ways are you intending to use the iPad? FM has a number of easy and viable options, but we do not really have enough info to steer you in the right direction.

Is the laptop always online? Just host the file from the laptop. Always live data all the time for both devices.

• 7. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                      KarenRennie

hello and thankyou for all the interesting suggestions!

Basically I have created a FilePro database which is now on the desktop of my laptop.

I will make all the changes to the file on this.

I then wish to TRANSFER the file to my iPad, which I then will take away and display the content,

without making any changes to the data.

So, what I would like to know is how to do this SIMPLY PLEASE.

I have connected my iPad to the laptop.

I have opened Filemaker Go.

I have clicked on Hosts and now the wheel is spinning 'looking for hosts'….

what next….?  You say, 'just host the file from the laptop'  How please?

or

to go back to Nehme's reply,  How do I move the old file back to the Mac and replace - is this with ITunes interface?

sorry if these are very basic questions, but I am managing to confuse myself!!!

• 8. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                        Markus Schneider

if You want to transfer the file from desktop to iPad, just connect the ipad to the desktop machine, open iTunes

- click on the device icon (top left) in iTunes and select the iPad

- click on apps on the left

- apps will appear in the middle of the iTunes screen, scroll down until FMGo appears, click on FMGo

- the FMGo files will appear (or an empty space, if there are none)

- now, You can drag&drop Your FileMaker file into that space in iTunes

-- make sure that the iPad is awake...

you can also mail (attachement) that file to yourself, do a long tap on the attachement in the Mail app and choose open with FileMaker Go (as mentioned by bigtom)

to bring back the file from the iPad to the desktop, use iTunes the same way - drag from the apps space in iTunes to the desktop..

the 'host' way will show shared FileMaker files opened on another device or FM Server, Works as long as there is a connection and the file is open on the server - with correct setting in 'sharing'. User needs the priviledges to use 'fmnet'

• 9. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                          Ben_B94

If you have a file with data in it (that will not be changed at all and isn't too big, all you want to do is display the data), what i've done before is actually just email the file to yourself. If you open the file in your emails on your ipad and have the app installed it will automatically open the file in FMGo. I know its not ideal but if its static data you just want to display and isnt too big, this may work

Or you can host the database using Filemaker Pro which like others have said is a bit more complicated.You open it in FM and hit file, sharing and host it off the computer you're using but the host machine will have to remain on with filemaker remaining open, otherwise you wont be able to see the database. If you are going to access it externally, ie from outside the network the host machine is on you will need your external IP, and you may also need a port forwarded to allow requests from outside to access the content on your specific machine.

But from what I gather, and if the file isnt too big, you may just be able to email it to yourself, then open it from your emails on your ipad. Worth a shot?

• 10. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                            Mike_Mitchell

KarenRennie wrote:

I then wish to TRANSFER the file to my iPad, which I then will take away and display the content,

If I understand this correctly - you want to change the database structure and leave the data on the device intact - then you're going to require a fairly involved process to make this happen. This will require a versioning control system and sync-and-replace process. You can't just simply replace the database on your device with the new one, as any data in it will be overwritten by the new database file.

Your other alternative would be to use a separation model, where you use one file as an interface (containing all your scripts, layouts, and user controls) and one file contains all your data. However, this is far from flawless, as any schema changes (changes to fields) will still have to be dealt with somehow.

Am I reading this correctly? You want to keep the data on the device while changing the database code / interface?

• 11. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                              bigtom

KarenRennie wrote:

Just send it by email.

How do I move the old file back to the Mac and replace - is this with ITunes interface?

Why would you need to do that if you are not changing any data? Just send it one way to the iPad and delete when done.

It seems you are using the iPad as some sort of demonstration tool. If the Laptop will be present with you and on the same network, hosting gets very easy. What will be the status of the network connections of the laptop and the iPad when you are using the iPad? Still not enough information to give some easy instruction because as you can see there are many ways to do this.

• 12. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                                bigtom

@Mike_Mitchell I think that is a bit too advanced for this particular situation. There is no confirmation that the file is actually being hosted and is only living on the iPad.

• 13. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                                  Mike_Mitchell

I can only work with what I quoted.

• 14. Re: beginners question re: syncing to iPad
                                    KarenRennie

hi,  many thanks.

I have just emailed the file and it has worked fine, so thank you for all your input.

I can see I shall have to spend some time working out the possibilities!

The iPad is a new device to me too…...

anyway all's well for now.

not sure how to delete the old file yet from the iPad in Filemaker Go - hmmm

why there isn't a wastebasket showing on the screen….

1 2 Previous Next