8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 8:52 AM by TSGal

FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space

Markus Schneider

since I'm on a 'closed' system, I can't update by myself, therefore I'm on 14.02. If some of the issues are resolved under 14.03, I would be very happy to hear..

- when copying scriptsteps in a script that is longer than the screen, after pasting the scriptstep, the position on the window changes. This is a #1 Bug because it can lead to destroying a script

- in the printer setup dialog, it's not possible to use Enter/Esc Keys, mouse-actions required (I'm on a 2 monitor setup...)

- moving scriptsteps is dangerous as well because clicking on a scriptstep will not 'pick' the step for moving

- it's much slower than on OSX

while I'm quite happy wit V14.02 on OSX, on Windows 8.1 it's terrible

- when enlarging the script workspace, a black bar appears for a while (until the window goes to the desired size)

- when editing a text in a layout, clicking outside that text takes some seconds until the text will be 'released'

as noted for the script issues, I also never had the two issues above on OSX

OSX is in general much faster with V14

edit:

- I'm on a virtual system, could be part of the problems (although other users in my environment confirmed the issues, they are on local systems)

- we are about to migrate from 11 to 14, running some tests and encountered those issues. Under V11, none of them are present, same environment

Message was edited by: Markus Schneider

• 1. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
          TSGal

Markus Schneider:

Thank you for your post.

- when copying scriptsteps in a script that is longer than the screen, after pasting the scriptstep, the position on the window changes. This is a #1 Bug because it can lead to destroying a script

This issue was not addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 (Windows).

- in the printer setup dialog, it's not possible to use Enter/Esc Keys, mouse-actions required (I'm on a 2 monitor setup...)

I don't have a two-monitor setup, but on a single monitor, the Enter/Esc keys appear to work with FileMaker Pro 14.0.3.  I no longer have FileMaker Pro 14.0.2 installed.

- moving scriptsteps is dangerous as well because clicking on a scriptstep will not 'pick' the step for moving

This issue was not addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 (Windows).

- it's much slower than on OSX

This is a bit generic.  Can you be a little more specific?  That is, are scripts running slower?  Finds slower?  Sorts slower?

while I'm quite happy wit V14.02 on OSX, on Windows 8.1 it's terrible

- when enlarging the script workspace, a black bar appears for a while (until the window goes to the desired size)

I see the black bar briefly on the right side when resizing Script Workspace.  This does not occur under Windows 7.  I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

- when editing a text in a layout, clicking outside that text takes some seconds until the text will be 'released'

I cannot replicate this delay.  Using FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 (Windows 8.1), I can use the Text tool to type any amount of characters on the Layout, and when I click outside the Text object, it is released immediately.  Can you tell me more about your Layout?  That is, how many text objects?  Other objects (portals, Container fields, tab controls, slide controls, etc.)?

OSX is in general much faster with V14

What do you see "much" faster?  Sorts?  Finds?  Script execution?  I'll need more information.

edit:

- I'm on a virtual system, could be part of the problems (although other users in my environment confirmed the issues, they are on local systems)

I am also using a virtual system for Windows 8.1.

- we are about to migrate from 11 to 14, running some tests and encountered those issues. Under V11, none of them are present, same environment

Keep in mind that Script Workspace was introduced in FileMaker Pro 14, so the issues reported with Script Workspace would not be available in previous versions of FileMaker Pro.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
            Markus Schneider

than You very much for answering!

concerning speed, I compared the scriptworkspace (OSX <> Windows) and for the text field in layout mode, it takes seconds until the text object will be released (the 4 dots on the edges disappear).

Working with/in the scriptworkspace (sws) is slower under windows, moving scriptlines. I can't say much about speed when running, it doesn't seem to be slower than V11, different Yes, not slower.

text-field: I'll do some more testing tomorrow (I'll test a blank layout)

I don't compare V14 ScriptEditor with V11 ScriptEditor, I just wanted to point out that V11 was running under the same VM without issues (means: I don't think that the VM is that bad)

the sws is IMHO not ready to be used under windows (mainly because of the movements of the view in the sws) -  under OSX, it's ok.

as for the Enter/Esc keys: Its inside the scriptworkspace, the 'print' scriptstep

• 3. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
              TSGal

Markus Schneider:

Thank you for the clarification of the speed of the Script Workspace.  Development and Testing are aware of this difference.

I can confirm the "Print" script step in Script Workspace works differently between Mac OS X and Windows.  Under Mac OS X, the Esc and Return/Enter keys work as expected (Cancel and Print, respectively).  Under Windows 7 and 8.1, the Esc and Return/Enter keys have no effect.  I have sent this information to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
                Markus Schneider

thank You very much!

I'll be on that customer's site today and will work with V14 (test-environment), will post more details - if I got some

I would like to move our V11 customers to V14, but I'm unsure now when it comes to Windows...

good new is, that printing seems to be fast - was very slow under V11. Test confirmed that on the very same environment (vm, network, printers,), printing speed is good now (almost 15 times faster...)

I'm on a virtual environment on that site, not a Mac running VMWare or so - all clients are virtual, no more cpu on the desks (VMWare horizon)

in general, the first impression concerning speed was that V14 is slower than 11 - but measuring showed that it's about the same

• 5. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
                  Markus Schneider

I did some more tests..

- Text objects in layout: If there is only one object, no delay... if there are many, slooooooow

-- used to be no problem under V11

- printing... we need to print labels on a dymo printer. The 'print setup' command lets one choose a printer, but its always the latest used printer that appears in that dialog (scriptstep)

means that we can't switch back to the laser printer. A4 protocolls looks fine on the dymo...

will create a seperate issue report for the text-thing. I try to find a workaround for the printing (otherwise, V14 is done...)

EDIT - text-object: For now, I was not able to reproduce the problems from Wednsday... even in populated layouts, I can click outside of the text object and I can work on almost immediately... will do further tests

• 6. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
                    Markus Schneider

editing a text object seems to be fine now. Can't replicate.

what I did: Increased the memory to 512MB in the settings (client), but not sure if this was the culprit (was 64MB before)

• 7. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
                      TSGal

Markus Schneider:

Testing was able to reproduce the black bar appearing on the right side as the window is resized.  This only occurs under Windows.  The information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM14.02 on Windows 8.1 - slooow and Line-Jumping in ScrW'space
                        TSGal

Markus Schneider:

The black bar issue under Windows operating system has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.