1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 4:57 AM by DamianKelly

FileMaker Server Error 977

tweller860

Product:     FileMaker Server 14.0.3.302

Hardware:  Mac Pro; 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5; 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Description: Error 977     FMS14-RSI     Redo log(s) for database "PDF " failed to update to the Standby Server. (20406)

Our installation was successfully updated from FileMaker Server 13 to FileMaker Server 14 on 10/03/2015, without any noticeable issues. We began receiving this alert message today (10/15/2015) via email beginning at 11:45 AM EST. We received this same error 7 times over the course of two hours. There are two items which make this very perplexing. First, Standby Server has not been configured and Progressive Backups are not enabled on this server. Second, the database "PDF " referenced in the error message is not one of the files hosted on the server.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
          TSGal

tweller860:

Thank you for your post.

At first glance, this does seem strange.  However, when you say that "PDF" is not one of the files hosted on the server, is it possible this message is coming from another server that when initially configured, used your working server as a standby server?

Another possibility is to check to see if FileMaker Pro is installed on the server, and see if someone has a local file "PDF" open.

Somewhere, "PDF" is being hosted or exists on a machine.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
            tweller860

Good morning.

Thank you for your quick response.

First, I forgot to include this in my post yesterday, but the current host machine was originally configured as our FileMaker 13 server (as a single-machine deployment). When upgrading FileMaker Server 14, I followed the instructions and used the FileMaker Server 13 uninstaller included with the FileMaker Server 14 installer. Then, I applied all available software updates via the App Store before proceeding with the FileMaker Server 14 installation.

When configuring the Mac Pro, I created a partition on the hard drive, creating two volumes. The original volume, Macintosh HD, is for all OS and application files. The new volume, FM-DATA, is for the FileMaker databases. Since they were stored in this second volume, I did not have to move any of the database files during the upgrade process. All scheduled backups are stored on a Thunderbolt-connected RAID array.

Also, since we plan to do more with FileMaker WebDirect moving forward, we opted to setup FileMaker Server 14 as a two-machine deployment. The FileMaker Server 13 machine was upgraded as described above and remained the "master" machine in the deployment. A similarly-configured Mac Pro now servers the "worker" machine in the deployment. This machine had FileMaker Pro installed on it previously but no version of FileMaker Server had been installed on it. While the hardware is the same, this Mac Pro was purchased at a later date and came installed with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Since we wanted to take advantage of any improvements in Apache with the newest OS, we opted to stay with the installed operating system rather than downgrade it to match the "master" machine's OS.

Second, here are the answers to the questions posed in your reply:

I don't believe this message is coming from a different server. After the initial release of FileMaker 14, we have not set up any standby servers during any of our initial testing before installing FileMaker Server on a "production" machine. Also, the server name referenced in the error message matches the name given to the FileMaker 14 server in the Admin Console.

FileMaker Pro is installed on the server in the event I need to check the backup files or perform some type of file maintenance. The application was open during time period in question yesterday but no files were opened at that time.

Finally, since making my post yesterday, this error has not occurred again. To this point, none of our connected clients have reported any problems accessing the database solutions yesterday during the period that the server was reporting this error. This  error may have been something very random (as it certainly appears to be). However, I wanted to report it in the event it is a sign of a pending and possibly more severe issue with our install of FileMaker Server. Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

If you have any additional questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Have a great day.

Best regards,

TW

Cross IT Services & Solutions, LLC

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
              TSGal

tweller860:

Thank you for the additional information and clarification.

Even with your description, it still leaves myself and other technician's perplexed.  Like you, we are hoping this is a "random" occurrence.

The one question that still lingers is the file "PDF".  Have you done a search on BOTH drives for "PDF"?  Does it exist anywhere?  FileMaker Server picked up this information from somewhere.

One technician is questioning if FileMaker 13 is still running somewhere on either drive.  Is there an instance of FileMaker Pro on either machine?

Please let us know if you run into this issue again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                DarrenTerry

While at a client site on Friday, they experienced a very similar error. Instead of "PDF", the error referenced a database file named "FILE". I guarantee there is no such database file on their system or used by anyone on their network. This looks to me like a spurious error in FMS.

In their case, it's a Windows Server 2008 R2 that's hosting the db. It's FM Server 14.0v2 (they are planning to update to v4a). FMS is installed on the C drive, and they've configured a separate D drive to house the database files and the backups. It's a single-machine deployment -- no web publishing involved.

The actual text of the error message is:

"FMServer Error 977 Redo log(s) for database "FILE" failed to update to the Standby Server. (20402)"

Standby server is not configured here, and there is only the one machine that has FM Server installed on it.

regards,

Darren

Darren Terry

Pacific Data Management, Inc.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Phone: (408) 283-5900 x7003

Fax: (408) 283-5903

darren_terry@pdm-inc.com<mailto:darren_terry@pdm-inc.com>

http://www.pdm-inc.com/

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                  TSGal

DarrenTerry:

Thank you for your post.

I have not encountered this error from a standalone server.  Therefore, to verify, go to the server and issue the command:

fmsadmin standby status -u [admin] -p [pass]

You should get the result that the Standby server is not configured.

If the result does show a Standby server and you want to disconnect it, then issue the following commands:

fmsadmin pause

fmsadmin standby disconnect

fmsadmin resume

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                    DarrenTerry

Thank you TSGal. My client ran the command line that you suggested, and it returned this:

"Error: 11300 (Server is not connected to standby server)"

So Standby Server is not configured. It is indeed a single machine configuration, yet it did throw error 977 for some reason.

regards,

Darren

Darren Terry

darren_terry@pdm-inc.com

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                      TSGal

DarrenTerry:

Thank you for verifying a standby server was not configured.

Since you are the second person to report this, it does appear to be an issue.  Talking this over with other Support Technicians, nobody has a clue.  The one common bit of information from both your post and tweller860 (the original poster) is that you are both using an alternate path for the database files that reside on a different drive/volume.  With that said, I would like to get your complete set of log files (especially event log) to hopefully find a cause.  I have sent a private message to both you and tweller860 that includes instructions where to send the log files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                        filemakeris.us

Greetings from Argentina, just had that same error today.

FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on fmserver14 - PRODUCCION reported the following event:

2015-12-16 10:45:52.226 -0300    Error    977    fmserver14 - PRODUCCION    Redo log(s) for database "FILE" failed to update to the Standby Server. (20406)

I do not have custom paths for DBs (just for backups)

First time ever I get this Error

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 2.00.53 PM.png

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                          tweller860

Good afternoon.

I apologize for the delayed response. I was on vacation last week and am still catching up on my correspondence now that I have returned to the office.

When I reported the 977 error back in mid-October, it occurred multiple times over the course of a couple of days. Since that time, it is has not happened again. Other than checking additional settings following my original post to provide more information on the install, I have not done anything with the server in an attempt to address the issue. The server does appear to have healed itself. I would be interested to know if Darren or filemakeris.us have similar experiences.

Also, I updated this FileMaker Server installation to 14.0.4 about two weeks ago. (This was an uninstall and re-install of 14.0.4 rather than an update.) Since that point, we have not had any issues.

Have a great day,

Best regards,

TW

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cross IT Services & Solutions, LLC

todd@crossit.com

http://www.crossit.com

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                            DarrenTerry

My client just updated their server to 14.0v4a last weekend. We haven't had the error since we initially encountered it, so it may be something that "self healed", or it might be something that was fixed in 14.0v4 or 14.0v4a.

regards,
                            Darren

Darren Terry
                            darren_terry@pdm-inc.com

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                              TSGal

filemakeris.us:

Thank you for your post.

We definitely need a full set of FileMaker Server log files.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                                filemakeris.us

Today I received 3 alerts so far. Nothing had changed in our server.

I already installed 14a on our testing machine but prior to upgrading the server I hope we can find the source of the problem.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                                  TSGal

filemakeris.us:

I received your log files.  Thank you.

The files have been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Server Error 977
                                    filemakeris.us

Thanks!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next