1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 1:05 PM by TSGal

Unstored Calculations Find Fails

CICT

After running FileMaker Server 14 since its initial release we've just had a report from a client that finds on unstored calculations fail and that their customer could not work.

She has pointed us to Finds which include unstored calculation fields... . Report an issue . Bug Report . FileMaker Forums and this also refers to Re: Finds on Unstored Calcs Don't Work On Hosted File both of which include old posting referencing both FileMaker v11 and FileMaker v12 servers. However, there is also a report of the problem as recent as May 2015 reporting that they 'We are having this problem for two years now. Still a bug'. TSFalcon was involved in August 2013 and videos related to this were posted.

This is our first experience of this and haven't had any reports previously. The database in question is developed by a customer we host for, so we don't have access to the file.

We're running FileMaker Server 14.0.v3 on Windows 2012 R2 Standard Server and a restart has appeared to resolve the problem for now (this causes inconvenience to our other customers whose databases are hosted on the same server and the server is almost in use 24 x 7).

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with FMS14?

Many thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
          TSPigeon

CICT:

Thank you for your post.

We have had similar reports of this issue in the past (as you noted about the previous Forum Posts). If you would provide a little more information for our testing and report:

Are the Unstored Calculation Fields using Get Functions, variables, etc?

Could you post an example script that reproduces the issue?

Any additional information about these fields?

I look forward to your response.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
            shwetam@metasyssoftware.com

Hello TSPigeon,

The scenario is as follows:

There is a SupplierPurchaseOrder and SupplierPurchaseOrderItem table. Earlier being the Parent and later being the child table.

Each child item has a status associated with it. Depending on the status of the child items, status of Parent changes.

So status (in Parent) is a unstored calculation field.

Initially all the child items are Pending. So status of the Parent i.e Supplier Purchase Order is Pending.

If all the items are delivered then status of Parent changes to 'Delivered'.

User is manually finding on this status field. When user tried to find for 'Pending' status (i.e. on the Parent status field). All the parent records were shown and not Pending record, in spite of they being there.

Please find attached screenshot of this calculation field.

When the server was restarted, this issue got resolved.

Similar issue happened in another file hosted on the same server. There also finding on unstored calculation was not working properly.

I think providing an example script will not trigger this issue as this is server related and will work locally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shweta

• 3. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
              TSPigeon

@all:

Thank you for your patience.

I am forwarding this information to Testing and Development for review. When I receive any feedback I will continue discussion on this thread.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                TSGal

CICT and shwetam:

Our Development and Testing teams are still having difficulty replicating this issue.  Therefore, they have asked for a copy of the solution for testing purposes.  I have sent you both a private message with instructions where to send your solution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                  Jamesellisstevens

Hi

We are having the same problem as this since we upgraded to Filemaker Server 14.  The problem goes away if we restart but then comes back a few days later.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

• 6. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                    TSGal

jamesellisstevens:

Thank you for your post.

Development and Testing would like a copy of your solution for testing purposes.  A private message has been sent to you with instructions where to send your solution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                      twelvetens

I'm also seeing this issue, would you like to provide me with details of how to provide you with a detailed example?

• 8. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                        Langham

This issue is also happening with us, a restart clears it but then a few days later the problem comes back. We are using FMS14. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Joel

• 9. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                          TSGal

twelvetens and Joel:

Development and Testing have still been unable to replicate the issue, and they want customer solutions.  I have sent both of you a private message with instructions where to send your file(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                            CICT

Hi TSGal

I believe we have responded privately, but just to confirm that neither Shweta or I are able to provide this client's system for testing for confidentiality reasons.

Kind regards

Andy

• 11. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                              jmundok

I have a client that is now experiencing this same issue. It's FileMaker Server 14.0.2 with a 3rd party hosting company. I'm not surprised that they are having trouble replicating this. When I host the same file on a different server, this issue is resolved.

Any further word on whether or not they could replicate this issue, or if there has been any movement?

• 12. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                                TSGal

jmundok:

Good timing!  This week, Testing was finally able to replicate the issue.  Although the notes from Testing are a bit cryptic, they do have reproducible steps.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                                  CICT

That's excellent news, this has been a long standing issue that has make management of FileMaker Server more demanding that it should have.

We haven't had a chance to test the other long standing issue of disappearing and reappearing administrator groups with server 15 as yet, but certainly this is still a problem in the latest version of FMS v14.

Good news to take into the weekend.

Thanks

Andy

• 14. Re: Unstored Calculations Find Fails
                                    vince@supportgroup.com

TSGal

We have two clients that have experienced this issue, both with the latest version of FMSv14. We want to recommend that they upgrade to v15, but need confirmation that this issue has been resolved in v15 first, before making that recommendation.

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next