1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 3:58 AM by Magnus Fransson

invoicing and consigning books?!

AndrewJudd

hi all,

I am trying to set up a way to both have a books table link with invoice line items and consignment line items.

It is saying the attached.

Invoice line items and consignment line items are two separate tables.

Books is it's own table.

It's fine if I use Books 2 or 3 as it suggests but then when you set up a portal in books to consigmnet forms for example.. or invoices you don't see the data.

Why is this not letting me add another link? When in other scenarios for example my price lists and sales reports tables I have been able to link from artwork? I'll include a larger view of my relationships...

thank you!

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 16.15.36.png

• 1. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
          Extensitech

The message you're getting is because, if you created the link you're trying to create, then later when you used a relationship to "books", FM wouldn't know which relationship, or series thereof, to use to get from your current perspective to get to "books". There can be one and only one path between any pair of TO's.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
            AndrewJudd

Thanks ,weird though as Consignment Line Items and Invoice Line Items are different tables.. yet I can't link them both to the same serial number in Books?

• 4. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
              AndrewJudd

tried adding "Books for consignment" and "Books for invoices" - both TO of Books but same issue.

• 5. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                erolst

AndrewJudd wrote:

Thanks ,weird though as Consignment Line Items and Invoice Line Items are different tables.. yet I can't link them both to the same serial number in Books?

You can link them both to the serial number in Books – but no to the same TO of Books, because then you would create ambiguous paths (what Chris said).

Create another TO of Books (and give it a proper name) – because that is what they (TOs) exist – using the same data (table) in different contexts via different instances (TOs).

• 6. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                  AndrewJudd

thanks, so as attache? The issue I have is I have two portals in books to show to respective information from invoices and consignments. image attached.

I'm currently only getting the invoices portal showing information as the link is back to the main "Books". Consignments portal is empty....

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 19.37.36.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-15 at 19.37.51.png

• 7. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                    erolst

AndrewJudd wrote:

thanks, so as attache? The issue I have is I have two portals in books to show to respective information from invoices and consignments. image attached.

Well, if you need two portals on a Books layout to point to display two different relationship chains, you should create additional TOs for the other tables involved in these chains, and relate them to Books; a layout can only be based on one TO, so only one of these chains will work on a layout based on Books.

Try e.g.

Book --< LineItemsConsignment__forBook >-- Consignment__forBook

--< LineItemsInvoice__forBook >-- Invoice__forBook

This is just an example; it may be implemented more efficiently, but we can't see the rest of your Relationship Graph (RG), so it's impossible to tell.

btw, in your RG you're relating ConsignmentLineItems::bookID to Books_…::pkBookNumber

While in philosophy consistency is regarded as the last resort of small minds, in database modelling & coding in general it's actually an asset …

• 8. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                      Extensitech

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines" [Emerson] isn't a ding on thoughful consistency... which gets the job done better and faster.

That being said, I can't be sure I don't fall into the "small minds" category.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 9. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                        AndrewJudd

thanks fellas, if i want a portal to show details from consignment forms in books how do I do that though? Can only show line items which isn't helpful if you want to show fields from consignment forms which might be manipulated at any point pre or post the book being added?

Won't let me link consignment forms to consignment line items for books. or most importantly consignment line items directly to books .. that's the issue..

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 00.02.20.png

• 10. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                          AndrewJudd

my portal - want some fields to come from consignment forms.. this is how i have it set up for artwork for eg

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 00.05.48.png

• 11. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                            AndrewJudd

hold the phone, done it with calculation fields in consignment line items calculating data from consignment forms.. guess that works?

great minds..

• 12. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                              bigtom

It is looking much cleaner already.

• 13. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                                erolst

Well, I was paraphrasing … and  I think that “foolish” pretty much says it already.

• 14. Re: invoicing and consigning books?!
                                  erolst

AndrewJudd wrote:

hold the phone, done it with calculation fields in consignment line items calculating data from consignment forms.. guess that works?

great minds..

Yes, but that shouldn't be necessary, since with the correct relationships you can “look through” into the ConsignmentForms table.

AndrewJudd wrote:

Won't let me link consignment forms to consignment line items for books. or most importantly consignment line items directly to books .. that's the issue.

Which you could solve by creating new TOs. Look at the TO names in my suggested relationship chains.

1 2 Previous Next