1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 6:56 AM by TSGal

script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows

Markus Schneider

windows 8.1, V14.02

when having 2 scripts in separate windows open, I can't close one of them when changes were made in both windows, even when I saved the current script in the active window. A dialog appears, telling me that there are unsaved scripts, can't close the window with the script where I finished the edits (to get more space on the desktop, etc)

it want's to save all windows - but in the other one, I have to do some more editing...

why 2 windows? One via 'edit' in the debugger..

• 1. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
          Benjamin Fehr

Looks like this is PC only. I tried on Mac with FMPA 14.0.3:

- I opened 2 scripts, each in a separate window.

- I performed changes in both scripts (* Asterisk appear on both windows Script names)

- I put' one of the scripts window in focus, saved (cmd / s) and closed the window

- second scripts window stays unsaved with * Asterisk in Script name

• 2. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
            Markus Schneider

yes, Windows only. Did it several times, same result. Wasn't aware of this under OSX

• 3. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
              TSGal

Markus Schneider:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 under Windows 8.1 (and Windows 7), I created a database file.

2. In Script Workspace, I created two scripts and opened them in separate windows.

3. In the first script, I changed the name and added the script step "Show Custom Dialog".  An asterisk appears in the window.

4. In the second script, I changed the name and added the same script step "Show Custom Dialog".  Again, an asterisk appears in the window.

5. I return to the main Script Workspace window, and then selected the first script window.  I pressed Control-S to save, and the script was saved.  I then selected the second script window, pressed Control-S, and the script was saved.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                hschlossberg

I'm not sure I understand what Markus is doing or if I'm just reflecting my own frustration here.  But if you have any script windows open, edited or not, and you then try to close the Script Workspace, it will want to automatically close ALL script windows.  So if you have unsaved scripts, it needs to ask whether you want to save them before closing.  You can, however, close any script windows OTHER THAN the main Script Workspace and it will let you do so without having to save/close the other script windows. 

Is this what you are seeing Makus?

• 5. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                  Markus Schneider

exactly.

TSGal:

- have two scripts open

- do some editing in both

- save the first script, then try to close *that* window, only that one

-> the other script remains open because there is still some work to do

-> I try to get rid of no longer needed scripts, so I want to have them closed

if this was changed with 14.03, I would be happy! As mentioned earlier, I'm on a closed system, I can't install anything by myself. Will try to get 14.03 during the next week...

• 6. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                    TSGal

Markus Schneider:

Your description doesn't sound any different than what I posted.  In essence, I have two scripts open that have both been edited.  I can save either script in its own window, and then close it.  If I have both scripts open and they have both been edited, when I try to close the Script Workspace, a dialog window appears asking me if I want to save the scripts before closing.

This was tested with FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 under both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                      Markus Schneider

hmm.. any chance that this was addressed in the V03 update?

as mentioned earlier, I'm on a closed system, I can't install anything by myself (yes... security is sometimes problematic). Will try to have V03 installed during the next few days and report again

thank You!

• 8. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                        user19752

v03 has no changes. You need "Script Workspace" always open while editing script. If you want to close a script editing in workspace with staying other windows open, close tab in workspace, not window.

This behavior is different from web browsers, so feel some oddness.

• 9. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                          Markus Schneider

tested that today, still under 14.02

- can't replicate now

- last week, I've had it several absolutely sure. Must be something different, last wekk - but I couldn't find out what (edit script via debugger, edit script in separate windows and if tabbed windows,

• 10. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                            hschlossberg

Issue was definitely not addressed in v3, as FileMaker doesn't really consider it to be a bug.  It is only OUR undesirable behavior that we are wanting to get FileMaker to "fix".  Kind of like when you are editing a script in one window or tab and then you want to run a totally separate script and FM requires you to either save the half-edited script or completely discard your changes...even though it is not a script that is about to run (and even if it were, why can't it run the saved, unedited script without you having to save your changes?!?)

• 11. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                              Markus Schneider

boy... wasn't this posting hard to find...

got it again - but:

- open one script via debugger (debug a script then edit that script from the debugger)

- edit something in this script

- open the script workspace to view other scripts -> script workspace opens, the first script (debugger...) remains in a separate window

- open some scripts from the scriptworkspace

- close the scriptworspace

-> then the error msg comes up and You can't close the scriptworkspace

• 12. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                                Markus Schneider

forgot to mention: Windows 8.1, FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.03

You can't even close an empty scriptworkspace

• 13. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                                  TSGal

Markus Schneider:

Using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.3 under Windows 8.1 (and Windows 7), I followed your steps, but still cannot reproduce the issue.  Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, here are the steps I took:

1. I opened the Script Debugger and ran a script.  With the script paused on the first step, I clicked the pencil icon to edit the script.  I added a "Halt Script" step to the end of the edited script.

2. I opened the Script Workspace, and I immediately notice that in the Scripts pane on the left side, the script that I edited is displayed with an asterisk, meaning it has been edited.

3. I open two other scripts in Script Workspace and one script in a new window.

4. I try to close the Script Workspace, and I get the message that one script is being edited.  Do I want to save.

5. Once I click OK, I get another message that says "Performing this action will halt the currently running script.  Proceed?".  I click "Yes" and all script windows close, including the one opened by Script Debugger, and Script Debugger is now empty.

Let me know what steps I am missing to reproduce the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: script workspace Windows, can't close one single windows
                                    Markus Schneider

I stopped the debugger

- I did not edit the scripts I added to the scriptworkspace

- I edited that script I opened via the debugger

- I tried to close the scriptworkspace, but couldn't because of the script in the separate window, opened via debugger

will create screenshots the next time this happens. I closed the scripts in the scriptworkspace - but still could not close the scriptworkspace - without any scripts open

the scriptworkspace takes quite some space on the screen, therefore I tried to close that

thanks!

1 2 Previous Next