1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 9:23 AM by bvo12585

Header Nav Design Issue

bigtom

So the header nav parts are great. Perfect addition for FMGo. However I did notice something weird in FMP when using header parts. One user needed to access on a small screen laptop (Mac Air 11") and sized the window to 75% to fit everything on screen. Problem is the header nav does not resize and any controls that are placed near the right side disappear off screen. I guess there cannot really be one layout for all devices. I understand why this is happening. I just do not understand why there cannot be some sort of anchoring that will allow objects in the nav parts to float left when the window is resized.

Any known way to work around this issue beside having double layouts?

• 1. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
          bigtom

Still looking for any ideas.

• 2. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
            user19752

Now I try to use nav part first time, I can't find any use for better than header part, only it is not printed...

Don't you think un-zoomable as a bug?

Floating to left can be set with the anchor only right side.

• 3. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
              bigtom

I think un-zoomable was the intended design to keep the nav in place on iOS when the layout is pinch zoomed. Although zoomed layouts in FMGo 14 cause some layout change issues. Acts like a bug in FMP on small screens.

Right side only anchor will not float objects all the way left in Nav part. They never move further left than the original position. This is the same with any object in any layout part but it should be fixed to allow for better use of the Nav parts.

• 4. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                Extensitech

I've been frankly a bit puzzled about the advantages, too, I have to admit.

One "aha" moment I've had while trying to figure out how to leverage this new feature: In list view, header and footer stay at the top and bottom of your window while you scroll. We actually use this on our "unified" layout, which shows in list view, but puts the input form in the footer, so you can see list and form on one layout. What I realized (though it was far from a secret) was that in form view the header and footer scroll with the layout. So, with nav header and footer, you can get the fixed parts at the top and bottom of the window that you would get with header and footer on a list layout. So with just that, it removes a kind of "hack" we've used to create top and bottom parts in our windows. Since we're (somewhat reluctantly) moving away from the split layout for some future development, this will be important on our form layouts.

Just sharing, in pursuit of some cool new techniques to leverage this new feature. The not zooming thing is a bit odd to me, too, but I'm sure as we poke and prod at this feature we'll find ways to make it useful.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 5. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                  user19752

Thanks to both you, I should have more thought about new feature, and I rarely use FMGo, only testing something sometime.

• 6. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                    bigtom

@user19752 where are you located?

• 7. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                      user19752

I guess you expect somewhere near to you, but only timezone.

It is top secret so you shouldn't say to anyone else that where I am.

• 8. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                        bigtom

Got it. I will send you a message. Please edit the previous message if you are concerned.

• 9. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                          TorstenBernhard

If the Nav Header would be horizontally scrollable, it could remain fixed-size while all elements on it would be accessible.

• 10. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                            bigtom

Torsten Bernhard wrote:

If the Nav Header would be horizontally scrollable, it could remain fixed-size while all elements on it would be accessible.

While this might get the job done it is not the best UI fix for users.

• 11. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                              bigtom

This continues to be difficult. I am duplicating the control objects in the header and hiding them based on screen size. I decided it was better to duplicate objects and not whole layouts.

The widest one still seems to affect the 100% zoom on all devices.

• 12. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                                schamblee

The nav part is a nice addition.   I have not work with it a bunch but it seem to work similar to other parts in prior version of FM except for the zoom.  Base on your comment "object to float left" I'm assuming you are trying to get the layout to resize for a smaller screen.  It is better to design your layout for a small screen and then set the anchors so that  it will stretch / resize to the larger screen.  I would suggest using different layout for desktop and ios.  

I created a 7 button button-bar and placed it in the nav part with the left , top and right anchor set on the button bar and it seem to resize nicely.  The layout was set for iPhone 320x460.   

Remember create for small screen first then stretch on larger screens.

• 13. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                                  Markus Schneider

I created an issue report because of that - when FM14 became available. The answer was, that this behavior is a feature, people want it that way.

for me, it's still a bug. When I set the zoom level (or resize), I want a 'bigger' content of a window. A tiny nav part is not what I want, but maybe my eyes are too old..

• 14. Re: Header Nav Design Issue
                                    MHaskins

I assumed this was a bug. Its definitely an issue for us that the body will reduce down to 75% while the header and footer do not, forcing UI off the screen.

1 2 Previous Next