2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 8:39 AM by MattThomas

Help With Songwriter Database

MattThomas

Although I am not new to Filemaker and have built several very simple databases, I know have to build a slightly more complex one which might be childs play to you guys ......

This is for a music database, to list writers and what songs they have written.

The user needs to be able to enter the name of a songwriter in the first field, followed by their compositions individually in the second field.

The song entry needs to be a single field, but once the user has typed in the name of the song they get an "add another" option in the same place.

I would then like each song added to be entered into a separate SONG database.

Here's a rough workflow:

WRITER TABLE

User enters writers name

Use enters First Song Name

User get option to add another song, and another etc .....

Song(s) added individually to a SONG database

If user enters the name of a song that already exists in the SONG database, it will offer up autofill options

The song database needs to cross reference back. Many songs have 4 or 5 writers, so the same song can appear multiple times by different writers. So for example If the user then looked up SONG A in a search field in the song database, then all the writers of that song would show up.

I am able to build the artist database and the song database, but I am not able to do the "Add Another Song", all I can do is create 100's of separate fields, or 1 data entry box where they are all listed together. And I am able to build a song database but not cross reference them so if I click on a song then all the writers come up. I would love it if someone could steer my in the right direction!?

Thanks a lot.

Matt

• 1. Re: Help With Songwriter Database
          erolst

MattThomas wrote:

I am able to build the artist database and the song database, but I am not able to do the "Add Another Song", all I can do is create 100's of separate fields, or 1 data entry box where they are all listed together.

First thing you need is a another table – a so-called join table that combines a songwriter and a song (in particular, two IDs from either table); this allows you to store many songs for a songwriter (all join table records related to a songwriter, each pointing to a song record) , and specify any number of songwriters for a song (all join table records related to a song, each pointing to a songwriter record).

This is usually shown as

Songwriter --< SongwriterInSong >-- Song

I suggest you first study how to implement the join table (and get familiar with IDs / foreign / primary keys); then come back and ask about your intended workflows.

• 2. Re: Help With Songwriter Database
            MattThomas

Eroist you’re a legend, thank you!