1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 4:24 AM by bigwal

Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11

ErichWetzel

The cut and paste issue is really getting tiresome. Please, please fix this. This is a feature which is used continually by all users.

Testing under the FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 and Mac OS 10.11 updates shows that the updates have no effect on this problem.

Thanks

-Erich Wetzel

• 1. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
          Benjamin Fehr

ErichWetzel

I remember those days when Bug Report showed some standard questions like:

FMP Version:

Bug Description:

How to replicate:

possible workaround:

additional Hardware/SW-Informations:

Please give as a hint: What do you wanna cut and where do you wanna paste?

• 2. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
            ErichWetzel

Supposedly this is a known problem according to responses to bug reports in the old format when FMP 14 first came out, so details were left out.

As mentioned: FMP 14.0.3 and Mac OS 10.11

Cut/Copy and Paste keyboard commands do not work. Requesting cut/copy from keyboard for selected field content has no effect and does not move selected content to the clipboard. If no content makes it to the clipboard, paste is not possible of course.

This problem periodically drops in and out. Not sure how to reliably replicate the issue.

Workaround is to use drop down menus manually.

Problem seems Mac hardware agnostic. Have seen it on older laptops and older and newer iMacs.

Thanks.

Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
              Benjamin Fehr

Thoughts?

such occurrences are hard to catch. My first thought: Would this issue also appear when cut/copy AND paste were performed by a script? If though, a script for many iterations could show some results.

Imagine a solution with field A with random names and field B which is empty.

A looped script to perform

- cut/copy field A

- paste to Field B

- goto next Record

Do you work with PC also? Can we assume its Mac only?

There's been issues with Mac OS recently ('sendEmail', just to mention one). Would you have a Mac with older OS for testing?

• 4. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                ErichWetzel

efficientbizz,

Our database has sections that range up to as much as 20 years old and do have some processes that are scripted with copy paste steps. They are not iterative across multiple records though. None of our scripts have failed in the way that copy / cut and paste are failing from the keyboard.

We do not use PCs here unfortunately.

We have several instances where we use the SendEmail step. SendEmail has not been a problem for us when using FMP 14. We were on Mac OS 10.10.latest (can't remember which 10.10 is up to) and FMP 14.0.2 until yesterday when we moved up to Mac OS 10.11 and FMP 14.0.3.

We do not have systems in use that have older OSs for testing.

• 5. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                  Benjamin Fehr

ErichWetzel

Using copy/paste isn't best practice to go.

I recommend to replace those tasks by setVar (instead of copy) AND insert (instead of paste).

Set a 'commit' task after 'setVar' makes it even more reliable.

• 6. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                    ErichWetzel

efficientbizz,

You asked about copy and paste in scripts... When you did I assumed you might have some potential insight into the keyboard issue.

When I started working on our FileMaker databases more than 20 years ago, copy and paste were the easiest options. Since then, much has changed. Time does not permit a refit of all database details for our business each time a new feature set comes out. When things break we address them with the up to date features of course.

I think we are a bit off topic here since the point of this post was to report a product issue not to get into a debate about my development strategy.

• 7. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                      Benjamin Fehr

It's not my intension to question your strategy. FMI TS has to check whether there's a issue anyway.

Though my statement goes under category "possible work around".

Economic conditions always have to come first with such decisions.

I'm positive, TS doing some inquiries.

• 8. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                        Markus Schneider

we been running into copy/paset issues when working under Windows and with VMWare virtual machines (was at a first glance not a FileMaker issue, it's VMWare), therefore I'm interested in some more detail:

- did it work well under 10.10 and v14?

- is it a V10.11 issue?

during our work with resolving the VMWare copy/paste issues, we realized that other app's than FileMaker were less involved. We never had the issue with MS Office app's, we have had problems with Adobe Acrobat - but Acrobat brought up a dialog telling that there is a problem with the clipboard, although the clipboard was filled with the correct content. In FileMaker, the clipboard remained empty..

not sure, but does FM handle the clipboard different? Is FileMaker calling internal routines in some special way? Could be because of the multi-platform thing...

btw. I'm getting tyred with this unbelievable behavior of jive under iOS9. I am loosing textes all the time because jive/iOS9 will select a portion of text while typing - and deletes that text... (iPad)

• 9. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                          ErichWetzel

Marcus,

This issue only surfaced in FMP 14.x and affected us on 10.10.x when we had clients on that OS version and now we have also seen it in 10.11 now that we have migrated our clients to it. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm what triggers the problem because I have yet to find a procedure that causes the behavior.

We do not see the behavior in anything other than FileMaker Pro.

Sorry that doesn't give much to go on.

• 10. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                            ErichWetzel

This issue also appears for others in this forum:

Filemaker 14 copy and paste keyboard commands stop working

For them apparently it occurs in Mac OS 10.9.5.

• 11. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                              Markus Schneider

thank You very much for this info! Our problems were different. It also occurd when coopy/was used in scirpts (old fashioned scirps - we placed those steps by 'variables').

I remember those postings..

• 12. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                                TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Thank you for your post.

This issue originally surfaced when Mac OS X 10.9 was released.  This was reported to Apple, but there has not been any progress.  Generally, the first keyboard shortcut to go missing is Command-L for Layout Mode, as this is easily reproducible by creating a new field and scrolling the Manage Database table fields.  Other keyboard shortcuts affected are Command-S and copy and paste.  A relaunching of FileMaker Pro resets the keyboard shortcuts.

I have added this forum thread to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                                  ErichWetzel

TSGal,

Thanks for the work around.

An additional point is on our end is that FileMaker is the only product we have that has this issue. As a subsidiary of Apple... do you have any idea what we can expect?

-Erich Wetzel

• 14. Re: Update Mac OS cut, paste issue under 10.11
                                    TSGal

ErichWetzel:

There is no information available at this time.  I will let you know when I have more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next