10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 11:17 PM by Markus Schneider

What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?

user16545

Hi all,

our application is a 100% FMS14 / FMPA14 Web Direct application.

However:

every new screen keeps flickering when styles are being applied to the layout objects .

And YES: every individual object and the background on every layout have clearly defined webstyles.

This doesn't stay unnoticed to our customers.
      It is shameful for us and makes a very unprofessional impression.

The application runs on a Windows 2012 server with 3 concurrent users max.

Server Specs:
      Quadcore 2,5 Ghz,  16GB mem of which 7GB allocated to the database server.

Nework specs:

Network capacity at the hosting side is 1 GBPS.
      Network capacity at the client side is 100 MBPS.

There is no need to have a 2 server implementation with so few users!

Why do we, Filemaker Developers, have this problem and other web developers not?

We invested ten years in the development of this web based application.
      It used to perform fine in FMS12 / FMPA12 with Instant Web Publishing.

We have no alternative than to work in Web Direct.
      It's the only Development environment we are familiar with.

The screens must have this  # of fields.

And we did not pay > € 1.000 to just include 5 or 6 fields on each layout, come on!

My conclusion can be no other than that Filemaker provides us, developers, with an immature web development environment.

@ Colleague Web Direct developers: do you have similar experiences with FMS14 Web Direct?
      @ Colleague Web Direct developers: do you have any tips to reduce this embarrasing screen flickering?

@ Filemaker: when can we, developers, expect a solution for this unprofessional issue?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
          Markus Schneider

is there a way to look at the app? We're about to build an older iwp solution in V14 for webdirect, tests in the local network were not that bad

• 2. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
            TorstenBernhard

We see a different issue on WD: "raw data" and final layout rendering. See related post:

WD page layout rendering while loading data

However, both issues relate to rendering and only FMI can take a look under the hood  and seek for improvement.

Cheers, Torsten

• 3. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
              user16545

Hi Markus,

I have attached a screen video, which shows the screen flickering.
              It must be emphasized that all values in the demo are stored values.

From the discussion that Torsten refers to, I understand that the layouts are published before they are rendered.

Given the impact on our applications I consider this a design fault.

This flickering will raise questions from our customers about our professional credibility.

If this can't be solved it will certainly become a disqualifier for Filemaker as a professional development tool.

@ Colleague Web Direct developers: do you have any tips to reduce this embarrasing screen flickering?

@ Filemaker: when can we, developers, expect a solution for this unprofessional issue?

• 4. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                user16545

Interesting development.

Filemaker officially does not support Firefox.
                I tested our application in Firefox 41.
                It sometimes takes a bit longer before screens appear in the browser.
                But once a layout has been used it will the next time appear properly rendered and without flickering.

It seems like if Chrome or IE11 or Edge forget the CSS definitions and re-apply the formats to objects at every layout switch .

• 5. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                  user16545

TSGAL and TSPigeon,

A few months ago we announced the new FM14 WebDirect version of our application to customers.

We are now delaying the rollout of that version, because we fear critics of those customers regarding the WebDirect screen flickering. This must be solved.

But we can't keep our customers waiting much longer.
                  They keep asking when they can start to use the new functionalities in the new release.

Please give us, developers, hope that you can and will solve these WebDirect rendering issues in the next FM14 update.

Then we can start rolling out the new release with an announcement in the knowledge that this will be solved soon.

Please tell us what we can expect.
                  We rather know that you can't solve it, than that we get no information.
                  We must inform our customers of what they can expect.

• 6. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                    user16545

Hi Torsten,

it seems that we both noticed this problem. A while ago I could still access the discussion WD page layout rendering while loading data but when I select this link now, I get a message that access is restricted. This is strange, and it is a major issue.

Any idea why this discussion is now hidden?

I could see in that discussion that you asked TSGAL or TSPigeon for news some time ago.
                    Can you still access that discussion or have you heard of any updates from FMI?

Thanks

• 7. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                      Markus Schneider

when there is no answer, they have forgotten the issue, the issue report gots lost  - or they have just no answer )-:

sometimes, a 'bump' brings the posting back to front (recent items) and to attention

remembering the old talking moose:

'when in danger or doubt, run in circles, screem and shout'

• 8. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                        user16545

Hi Markus,

I hope you're wrong.
                        And that FMI is still trying to solve this, because customers of you and me won't accept it.

• 9. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                          TorstenBernhard

Hi user16545 (I'm sure this is your plume name )

No I haven't heard back from FMI staff in this matter.

So I cannot tell if the issue is on the workbench for retrofit or if it has been dropped.

Not a great situation.

• 10. Re: What can make FM14 webdirect screens stop flickering?
                            Markus Schneider

fileMaker never tells about what is in the works, what could be in the next version (new or fixed). Therefore, nothing new here. But for a developer/consultant not so cute..

- customer John Doe has a problem with a version of FM that won't fit his workflow (ie FMS13 on 2012R2, mailing with Outlook, printing portals, slow performance under V14/Win, etc (not mentioning the Go problems earlier in the V14 run or the update problems with FMS14..)

- so, what can the consultant do? What advise?

- John Doe knows that running V14 requires all Macs running one of the latest OSX what requires specific hardware, knowing that the next version of FM will not run under Maveicks ('deprecated'), when one client has to be replaced, a stock-Mac will come with the latest OSX what might act different than its predecessor (see posting concerning 'metal')

(btw. not just OSX - installing V13 under Vista didn't work either)

sigh...