12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 12:36 PM by dburnham

Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records

dburnham

I have a script that imports a specified set of records from one table to another.

In FileMaker Pro, the script executes as expected.   No dialog appears and the records are correctly imported.

In Web Direct, the same script results in this dialog appearing.  Obviously, the user does not know what to import an if they did import anything it would be incorrect and destructive, so they press Cancel to dismiss the dialog.  The not-so-obvious danger is that any successive script step, such as Replace will be operating on all the records in the table rather than only upon the records that were expected mohave been imported. 

Web Direct needs to respect the setting  Perform Without Dialog.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 1.34.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 1.31.47 PM.png

• 1. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
          user19752

It is described in note in help.

"FileMaker WebDirect does not support the Perform without dialog or Specify data source options."

For security, web browsers can't upload any file without users interaction.

Do you want any web site to get your documents silently?

• 2. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
            dburnham

of course not. but I also should not have to refer to the help file when w every script step.   When the compatibility setting is on Fm web direct, there is no indication that perform without dialog can't be scripted

i refer you to New Window which appears dimmed with an explanation about how it is handled.

THat kind of warning would help

• 3. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
              user19752

Yes, there should be some partial indication. This IS issue on script workspace.

But I say, we developer are expected reading all documentation if we need, not as user.

• 4. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                dburnham

I can't agree with you.   Yes, we should read and learn all the documentation, particularly if we need to pass the certification exam.  However, I don't think that one of the qualifications for becoming certified is to be fluent in all the deficiencies in the product, even if it is useful in developing for clients.  All users, from certified developers to ordinary users, should be able to rely on the interface tools.

When FileMaker gives us a user interface tool such as the "compatibility selector" in the script workspace -- and this particular tool has existed in previous version, too -- we should have the right to rely on it.  And if we take the time to report it's fallibility we should have such reports given attention and respect, if not gratitude.

Script Workspace was introduced to us last spring with the admonition that the engineers are extremely eager to hear about anything that isn't working as it should be.  I believed what I heard.

• 5. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                  user19752

I think you agree that this is UI of script workspace issue, not script behavior, that you first wrote "Web Direct needs to respect the setting  Perform Without Dialog."

• 6. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                    dburnham

That's more like a trick question.

Yes the problem begins in Script Workspace where there is a checkbox for "perform without dialog" but there has been that option on the Import Records script step as far back as I can remember, at least to version 7.  Probably 5 or even 3.

Yes -- I have complaints about the way Script Workspace sometimes doesn't show you these optional checkboxes until you close and re-open the little gear-driven dialogs, such as in Go to Record [Next] where you have to visit the dialog twice before you can see "Exit after Last"  -- but No, that's not the issue here.

The issue is that Web Direct does not respect the setting, and there is nothing in the user interface to indicate that Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog".  If you select New Window, the script step appears with the warning in dimmed text "[VIRTUAL WINDOW ON WEB]" and that is more than enough of a warning that the script step has a behavior you need to be aware of.

• 7. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                      TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your posts.

I have forwarded your comments to our Testing and Development teams.  I also recommend that you enter this into our Feature Requests web form at: Company | FileMaker

The information entered into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                        dburnham

I did what you requested and I really don't mean to be argumentative, but there are not any questions on that form that are not already answered here.  Honestly, I don't think that my country or a secret code number make any relevant difference.

In the past, there was a very useful form that we could submit when a "bug" was being reported.  Questions about expected behavior, actual behavior, workarounds, operating system and so forth.  I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back but when I report something here -- or anywhere else -- I take the time to explain and illustrate with whatever tools are available.

IMHO, FileMaker is in desperate need of more than a form to gather, compile, and prioritize the many things about FileMaker 14 that are in need of repair and either a person or a really effective system of sharing the information back with the developer community.  Of course I realize the obvious corporate reluctance to admit in writing that anything is wrong lest it deter sales, but the current environment is becoming unsustainable.   We hear in webinars and at Devcon that we are "partners" and told how the engineering team sincerely needs and wants our feedback, but the reality is otherwise and it's more than insulting to be asked to report defects as "feature requests."   Feature requests can take years and versions before they appear in the product that we use on a daily basis and need fixed NOW, not someday in the future.  Meanwhile, releases like the recent 14.0.3 address such a small list of problems that it makes my head spin to think about the length of the actual list of problems, regardless where they are reported.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 4.57.59 PM.png

• 10. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                          TSGal

dburnham:

Testing is able to confirm that Perform without dialog should be either grayed out or listed as NOT COMPATIBLE when using Import Records script step under WebDirect.  They have sent this information to Development as an issue; not as a design change.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                            TSGal

dburnham:

The Community is licensed through Jive, and currently it is not possible to create a Report an Issue form similar to the old forum (licensed through RightNow).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Web Direct disregards "perform without dialog" on Import Records
                              dburnham

THank you for that explanation.  I did not know that about Jive. 

SInce the reports begin with a menu command in FileMaker, I wonder if it might be possible to implement it with FM instead of the community Jive apparatus.  Do it the way the registration form gets submitted, and limit it to FileMaker Advanced whose users presumably know more about what and how to report.  Just a thought.