6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 11:11 AM by smcfeeters

Container field not displaying JPEG correctly

smcfeeters

I've noticed that some JPG files are not displaying correctly when the container field has Optimize for (JPEG, PNG..etc) selected.  If the selection is changed to optimize for interactive content, the JPG displays correctly.

Noticed the display problem under both a Window's client and a Mac client.

Sample is from Filemaker Adv 14.0.2

under Mac OS X 10.11

Database is hosted on OS X 10.10.5

running Filemaker Server 14.0.2.226

I have attached a screen shot of the container under both selections and a copy of the JPG.

• 1. Re: Container field not displaying JPEG correctly
          TSGal

smcfeeters:

Thank you for your post.

Downloading your IMG-20150828-03588.jpg file and placing it in a Container field using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.3, I cannot replicate the issue either locally or via a hosted file.  Please make sure you update to FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.3 as it was released recently, and it is compatible with Mac OS X 10.11.  You can download it directly through Knowledge Base Article #15295:   http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15295

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Container field not displaying JPEG correctly
            smcfeeters

I understand the problem is not going to be easy to replicate.

The hosted database (Master) has hundreds of images in it and they all render correctly (many taken with the same camera as the failing image).  The application has a sister app that we use on desktops and iPads.  The sister app replicates up to the master hosted database.  When loading this image directly into the sister app, I did not see any issues with the rendering, it was only when I loaded it on the master hosted database that the problem was visible.

I will upgrade my client and try it again tomorrow, but I'm not expecting any different result.  I'll also take a copy of the Master off the server and try it locally to see if the problem persists.

• 3. Re: Container field not displaying JPEG correctly
              smcfeeters

I updated my client to 14.0.3 and the problem still exists.

I copied the file from the server and opened it locally, and the JPG displayed properly.  The problem is definitely linked to the database being hosted on a filemaker server.

• 4. Re: Container field not displaying JPEG correctly
                Fred(CH)

I know it is not a valid answer but, did you play around with thumbnail preferences across File > Manage > Containers … under Thumbnail tab ?

Because it is definitely a feature which is depending when the file is hosted or not (i do not have detail to provide at this time but just food for thoughts).

• 5. Re: Container field not displaying JPEG correctly
                  smcfeeters

I tried changing the setting to Permanent storage, and there was no change

I then removed the generation of thumbnails for images and the problem disappeared!  I don't know what the performance impact is going to be on my remote users, but at least the image is fully displayed.  Thanks for the tip.

• 6. Re: Container field not displaying JPEG correctly
                    smcfeeters

Remote users really notice the impact of turning off the thumbnails.  While it solves the problem of getting the image to display properly, it is not practical for remote users over the long run.