kmtenor

be_smtp_send returns -1

Discussion created by kmtenor on Oct 19, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 by kmtenor

We are exploring the use of the BaseElements plugin version 3.1 to enable one of our applications to send multiple attachments from pre-generated PDF containers.  We are running Exchange 2013 and have a working configuration that functions just fine with Filemaker's built-in SMTP send, using TLS and "Plain Password" authentication.  Unfortunately, we cannot get the setup working to simply send a regular email, much less one with multiple attachments.

I believe I have troubleshot my way through setting up the server connection, using BE_Curl_Set_Option to set the appropriate username and password into CURLOPT_TLSAUTH_USERNAME and CURLOPT_TLSAUTH_PASSWORD.  At least, when I call BE_SMTP_Server and just give it the server name and port (leaving username and password un-configured) following the BE_Curl_Set_Option calls, the function returns an empty string - which the docs say indicates all is well.

But, when I call BE_SMTP_Send with just the first four parameters, it returns a -1 error.  The only libcurl error code that matches this is "CURLM_CALL_MULTI_PERFORM" - which doesn't seem like a logical error.

My questions:

1. Is it correct to assume that we would be able to get the BaseElements plugin to work with a known-working SMTP connection? 

2. Am I looking at the right library of error codes to diagnose this (libcurl - Error Codes)?  Or is there a different library being used for the BE_SMTP_Send?

3. Does BE_SMTP_Server actually attempt a connection when it is called?  Or is it just establishing settings?  If I just change the passwords in the BE_Curl_Set_option calls, the call still returns an empty string - so I feel like I'm still missing something here.  Additionally, if I put the username and password into the BE_SMTP_Server command and test with BE_Curl_Trace, I get the "SSL_23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol" error.

4. Can I please have a hint as to what I am missing to make this work with TLS and Plain Password?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

Outcomes