AnsweredAssumed Answered

Remote access and data separation?

Question asked by bigtom on Oct 20, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 by RubenVanDenBoogaard

So I have run across an interesting problem. Basically I need 4+ files on FMGo to use one solution. Is this normal? It is causing issues when previous connections do not fully close (when people walk away from the office while using FMGo and try to reconnect) but it is mostly a bit of a hassle. This is less of an issue on FMP but it still exists.

The first issue seems to be not being able to dynamically assign external data sources in the client.

The second issue seems to be that even though there are a few key pieces of data that are stored in the UI file for use when the remote client is offline as read only, if there is even just one field from an external source file nothing on the layout will display. I am sure there is some reason for this but it is a bit silly that data in the file that is on the client side will not display. If the external fields are removed from the layout the UI file data displays.

File 1: Opener file that decides if there is a network connection at all and what the IP address is so the appropriate file can be opened.

File 2: UI file for accessing the data file while in the office Wifi (ESS address fmnet:/192.168.xxx.xxx/filename)

File 3: UI file for accessing the data file while out of the office (ESS address fmnet:/hostname.com/filename)

File 4: UI file containing limited data only for read only offline reference. Maybe this could be solve with more layouts that are not ESS dependent.

*File 5: Possible need to connect directly to the latest UI file hosted on the server without downloading it.

Am I missing something here or is this how it has to be done? Maintaining this many UI files seems like a bit much.

Outcomes