4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:09 AM by TSGal

14.3 Why Is auto enter last visited Not Always Working ?

ScottBleackley

see attached test db with a couple of initial records
           sample is a simple serial number so it is easy to see record changes.

opening is auto enter last visited

district is auto enter last visited

LastValue Test db
      • on opening | create record | last accessed value is blank for sample and opening
           • because there is no last accessed record even though one is visible. 
           • How to make this the last accessed record ?
      • if we immediately delete that record | create new record | value is blank for sample and opening
           • evidently there is still no last accessed record even though one is visible.
      • also after delete if we manually select scroll or arrow another record and |
                      new record also blank values
      • if we create new record that is blank, do not delete it, and then move to another record
         and create a new record then  last accessed value is correct for sample and opening.

• if we move to a record with different opening and district values and create a new record
        this also works.

I am doing this test because I have code that has worked fine using this for some time which

now does not appear to work.  Hopefully it is just an assumption that I have made incorrectly.

How is last accessed record created?

How do I ensure that a record is the last accessed record?

Thank you, as usual, all thoughts are most welcome.

Reference

Defining automatic data entry | FileMaker

Enter the value from the same field of the last record you accessedSelect Value from last visited record.

Note  This value will be from the last record accessed in the table in which this options has been set

Report a Product IssueDiscussions

• 1. Re: 14.3 Why Is auto enter last visited Not Always Working ?
          TSGal

ScottBleackley:

Thank you for your post.

The last accessed record means the last record where FileMaker Pro performed some activity on the record, such as pasting text or simply moving into a field.  When you open a file, a record may be shown, but it isn't accessed until you put your cursor in a field.  Once accessed, create a new record, and the information will be updated in the fields with auto-enter options for last visited.

I have sent your comments to our Documentation department so this can be made clearer in future documentation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: 14.3 Why Is auto enter last visited Not Always Working ?
            ScottBleackley

Hey TSGal,

Welcome back.

Problem is not so simple.

As demonstrated in my example DB simply switching records does alter the last accessed data, but not always.

If you create a new record then move to a previously created record the last accessed data will reflect he previously created record.

However if you create a new record an then delete it then move to a previously created record this is not the case.

Please see example and instructions for use, to see what I mean.  There is a problem here.

Thank you,

Scott Bleackley <mailto:scott@folkstone.ca> MSc

Folkstone Design Inc <http://www.folkstone.ca/>.

Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada

Make The Most Of Your Mac <http://www.folkstone.ca/mac>

Mac OS X and Business Support

Deep Learning, Complex Systems

phone: 604 886-4573

T <http://twitter.com/#!/folkstone>witter: folkstone <http://twitter.com/#!/folkstone> Wider range of topics reviewed

Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Folkstone-Design-Inc/323163364370805>:  Apple and related information blog

• 3. Re: 14.3 Why Is auto enter last visited Not Always Working ?
              TSGal

ScottBleackley:

If you create a new record, then that is the last visited (active) record.  If you cursor out of the field to commit the data, move to another record and not activate it, the last visited (active) record will still be the newly created record.  If you then return to the newly created record and delete it, then there is no previously active record, so when you create another new record, the auto-enter last visited values will be blank.

In the file you sent me, do the following:

1. Open the database file.  There is a record displayed, but it is not active.  If you create a new record, the auto-enter last visited values will be blank.

2. Delete the new record.  An existing record will then display, but since it is not active, there will still not be any data in the auto-enter last visited fields when a new record is created.

3. Go to the first record.  Make it active by clicking in one of the fields.  This is now the active record.  When you create a new record, the auto-enter values from the first record will now be displayed.

4. Go to the second record, and make it active by clicking in one of the fields.  This is now the active record.  Click out of the field and move to the first record.  Since no field is selected in the first record, the second record remains the last visited record.  When you create a new record, the auto-enter values from the second record will be populated.

Let me know if need additional clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: 14.3 Why Is auto enter last visited Not Always Working ?
                TSGal

ScottBleackley:

FileMaker Pro 15 Help has been updated to include the last visited record.  This is found at:

Help -> Creating a solution -> Setting options for fields -> Defining automatic data entry

Under step #6, the section "Enter the value from the same field of the last active record" now states:

"Select Value from last visited record. This option refers to the last record in which you performed some activity, such as clicking in a field.

Note  This value will be from the last record accessed in the table in which this option has been set."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.