4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 10:21 AM by richardsrussell

Vanishing page margins when using Top Navigation part

richardsrussell

FMPA 14.0.3

Mac OS X 10.11

I like to see my page margins when I'm in Layout mode, so I habitually leave them set to "√" under the "View" menu. Today I was working with a pre-existing file, installing Top Navigation parts on all my input layouts. Every time I did so, the page margins disappeared from view, and the option of turning them on again was grayed out on the "View" menu.

• 1. Re: Vanishing page margins when using Top Navigation part
          TSGal

richardsrussell:

Thank you for your post.

Page margins are disabled when there is a Navigation (Top and/or Bottom) part on the layout.  For more information, see Knowledge Base Article #14429:

Overview of navigation layout parts in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Vanishing page margins when using Top Navigation part
            richardsrussell

I genuinely thank you for your prompt, courteous, and helpful response, but it seems that this is yet another instantiation of the old programming adage that any bug can be turned into a feature by documenting it. However, I will take it up with Feature Requests. Have a lovely day.

• 3. Re: Vanishing page margins when using Top Navigation part
              TSGal

richardsrussell:

My apologies for not being clearer.  The navigation parts appear on a layout but they neither print nor display in Preview.  Separating the non-printing navigation part from the other printing parts are not possible at this time, so the Page Margins are temporarily disabled.  If you remove the navigation part(s), then the Page Margins will display.

Please do enter a Feature Request.  For others reading this thread, the Feature Requests web form can be found at:

Company | FileMaker

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although it is easy to copy the post and paste the post into the form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Vanishing page margins when using Top Navigation part
                richardsrussell

My apologies for not being clearer.

Not at all. You were perfectly clear, as always. The article you pointed me to said exactly what was going on.

I just ruefully observed that an existing desirable feature (page margins) was evidently incompatible with a new desirable feature (top navigation), and the product managers figured that, in order to get the new release out the door on schedule, they'd simply document the fact that the incompatibility existed, rather than taking the added time necessary to fix the bug causing it. Not your fault at all.