8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:12 AM by TSGal

All-black dialog boxes and progress messages

richardsrussell

FMPA 14.0.3

Mac OS X 10.11

When attempting to open a remote file, I'm confronted with what I assume is supposed to be a dialog box asking for my user name and password. However, since it's wall-to-wall black (except for tiny square bites taken out of each of the 4 rounded corners), I have no way of knowing whether I'm even in a field that I can type in. There are apparently active buttons on this all-black window, because clicking here and there within it opens additional all-black windows of different sizes in the same vicinity.

I also get windows of the same all-black-with-white-corners appearance in what I'm guessing is a progress report when navigating to a layout where some sorting needs to take place. These eventually go away when the sorting is complete.

• 1. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
          TSGal

richardsrussell:

Thank you for your post.

Forum member "dburnham" has also encountered this issue:   FMP Advanced 14.0.3 on Macintosh OS-X 10.11

Your description sounds identical to "dburnham".

Does this black dialog box occur for all files (remote and/or local) or a specific file?  Has this always occurred, or did this recently start occurring?  Is the remote file running FileMaker Pro or hosted with FileMaker Server?  Which version?

If you relaunch FileMaker Pro, does the issue still occur?  If you reboot your computer, does the issue still occur?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
            richardsrussell

It started occurring only after upgrading to FMPA 14.0.3 and OS X 10.11 (which we did at the same time). We're about to upgrade to OS X 10.11.1, and I'll get back to you after that to see if the problem is still occurring. If it is, I'll also make note of answers to your other questions.

• 3. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
              richardsrussell

I now have screenshots. Here's the "Open Remote" dialog:

Open Remote Dialog.tiff

If I attempt to open "FGA Orders", I get this:

Black Window.tiff

I'm assuming that this is asking for a user name and password. Since the former is satisfied by "Admin" and the latter by "[null]", I'm able to open the file (and make the black window go away) by hitting the "Esc" key. (I'm guessing that "return" or "enter" might have worked as well. Would you like me to try it and see?)

Now here comes the curious bit. If I attempt to open "Thalia" from the very same "Open Remote" dialog, it works perfectly well, just as it used to:

Regular Window.tiff

However, that doesn't mean that "Thalia" is entirely immune to the problem. If I click on a button that's supposed to take me to a screen where I can see hundreds of thousands of records, with summary fields in the header part, I've been accustomed to getting a series of progress boxes telling me that FMP is calculating the totals. I'm still getting boxes, but now they too are all black. Fortunately, they eventually go away after all the totals are calculated, but of course I don't have the option of short-circuiting the calculation by clicking on "Cancel", since I can't see it.

"FGA Orders" and "Thalia" are both hosted on a Mac Mini running under Mac OS X 10.11 using FMP 14.0.3. I'm trying to open them remotely on an iMac running under Mac OS X 10.11.1. Both computers exhibit the same black-box behavior. (Yes, even after quitting out of FMP entirely on both machines and relaunching it.) In addition to me, there are usually 5 other guest users dialed in on the LAN, but I get the same behavior even when it's only the host computer and me.

For whatever value it may have, "Thalia" was created under an earlier version of FMP (back around 10, I think) and converted to ".fmp12" when it became available. However, "FGA Orders" was created natively under FMP 13. Not sure why that should make a difference, but that's the only thing I can think of where the 2 files differ significantly. Oh, that and the fact that "Thalia" requires user name and password to log in, but "FGA Orders" doesn't.

I'd be happy to send you clones of the files if you think that would help.

• 4. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
                TSGal

richardsrussell:

Thank you for the additional information.

Although I cannot replicate this issue, and since another customer has encountered the same results, I have sent your posts and screen shots to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you posted.

Clones of the file may be helpful, so I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
                  TSGal

richardsrussell:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Your file and instructions have been attached to the original report.  Interestingly, I discovered that Testing was able to replicate the issue last Friday, and all information has been sent to Development for review.  I will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
                    michno

These seems to have made in comeback in FMPA 14.0.5 (OS X 10.11.4), except they are now white.

Michael

• 7. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
                      TSGal

michno:

The issue only occurs under Mac OS X 10.11.x, and we are working with Apple to find a resolution.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: All-black dialog boxes and progress messages
                        TSGal

All:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.