Script--

Set Webviewer URL ""file:///path/to/file/someother.pdf"

Crashes every time.

john

• 1. Re: Setting a web viewer to PDF file crashes FMP14
          TSPigeon

jrenfrew:

Thank you for your post.

I was unable to reproduce a crash of FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 on OS X 10.11 using the Acrobat Pro 11 as my default for PDF files and showing PDFs through a WebViewer (and changing the path to a different PDF). There were several instances of strange behavior when scrolling and interacting with the PDFs. Additionally, I am forwarding this report and my findings to Testing and Development. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Setting a web viewer to PDF file crashes FMP14
            TSPigeon

jrenfrew:

You may be able use Preview as your default PDF application as a Work Around. I have seen no inconsistencies when using Preview.

I hope this information is of use.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Setting a web viewer to PDF file crashes FMP14
              jrenfrew

So, thank you for your suggestion, but this is not even really a workaround, it is crippling my customers computers because for some while now FileMaker has had some significant issues with rendering PDF files. This is the worst I have experienced, but is one of several where I have either reported or contributed in the past.

Given my areas of expertise, Preview on a Mac is NOT a solution - as it is simply a preview renderer - and not in any way a standards-compliant PDF reading application. The list of features it does not support far outweighs the ones it does.

• 4. Re: Setting a web viewer to PDF file crashes FMP14
                TSPigeon

jrenfrew

Testing and Development came back and recommended verifying that AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin have been removed from the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder? They say this should resolve your issue.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Setting a web viewer to PDF file crashes FMP14
                  GJ1159

Hey everyone,

Just want to chime in here about this issue.

Ever since upgrading to FM14 and getting a new Mac mini, I've been experiencing my FM crashing every 4th save to a PDF, I began purposely crashing my FM after a 3rd save just to save myself from frustration of the 4th one happening if I forgot that it was going to happen or lost count of what save I was up to.

Finally, after countless attempts to contact FM in regards to helping with this issue, we began breaking everything down step by step to figure it out ourselves.

We tested this on multiple computers, and it seemed to only be my computer and my boss's computer, but no one else experienced this issue.

Long story short, we finally narrowed it down to a bad PPD for the Xerox printer driver that was selected when selecting the Print option and saving as a PDF.

My computer and my boss's computer had to have all drivers rebuilt and turns out our machines that used the same Xerox PPD was the culprit.

Ever since selecting a different driver (even though we aren't actually printing, we are just saving) it works perfectly again and does not crash anymore.

HOWEVER, the drag and drop feature still crashes my FM at times, but with the every 4th save crash issue, it is now fixed for us.

Hopefully this helps anyone out there!