AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is many to many that bad?

Question asked by dyb on Oct 22, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 by WilliamSpangler

I'm trying to learn some basic stuff here. I set up a small database with 2 tables – "Glyphs" and "Images". I wanted to view images that have the same name as a glyph through a portal. The glyph name was unique so there was no problem and i got a one to many relationship. But then i wanted to also view related images that don't have the same name yet are chosen manually as related. I ended up with this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 13.40.19.png

All i can say is that It works but i'm afraid of the many to many relationship between the "Corelation" and "Relative Images" tables. I could use IMAGE ID as a match but that would mean i need a lot of records in "Corelation" table.

Now it works like this:

If Glyphs::GLYPH UNIQUE NAME = Images::GLYPH UNIQUE NAME MATCH then show these images on the Glyphs layout through a portal

If Corelation::GLYPH ID MATCH = Glyphs::GLYPH ID AND Corelation::GLYPH UNIQUE NAME MATCH = Relative Images::GLYPH UNIQUE NAME MATCH then show these relative images on the Glyphs layout through a portal.

It works as expected and i have many images that are directly related to one glyph but i also have many images that are indirectly related to many glyphs.

Do i need to fix that?

( I highlighted the unique fields in the database )

Outcomes