1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 11:37 AM by jlg89

Crash in layout with sorted portal

velistar

Product and version FileMaker Pro Advanced14.0.3

OS and version  OS X 10.11.1

Description

I have a database that launches on a MainMenu screen which has a button Patients. This is just a Go To layout button. The layout has a portal showing all patients and its based on a Cross-relation to show all records. Its a sorted relation. The database is hosted on a server with FM Server 14.0.2

How to replicate

When I click the button then FileMaker hangs for a few seconds showing "Sorting" dialog and then crashes. Every single time. This happens only on El Capitan with 14.0.3. Other computers on Yosemite and Maverics are just fine.

Workaround

If I just select the layout manually from the default layout selector it goes to it no problem. Afterwards, the button works just fine

• 1. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
          TSGal

velistar:

Thank you for your post.

Seeing that your are using Mac OS X 10.11.1, do you know if this issue occurred in Mac OS X 10.11?

Do you have other buttons that go to other layouts without issues?  Does the crash occur with this one layout containing a portal the first instance?

Can you post the header and the crashed thread of the crash report?  This may give me a better idea of why it is crashing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
            velistar

Hi TSGal,

Yes, it happened with 10.11 as well.

Yes, other buttons with Go to Layout as well. All work fine (so far). There have been a few other crashes here and there as well but this one is 100% persistent.

I am attaching the entire crash log.

• 3. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
              TSGal

velistar:

Thank you for the crash report.

It's not clear from your description nor crash report.  Is the button on a layout with the portal, or are you going to a layout that contains a portal?  Is the button grouped with another object?  If you create a new button that goes to the destination layout, do you get the same crash?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                velistar

No, its layout A going to layout B with the portal. The button is not grouped with anything else. Yes, I created another button both using a Single Script step (Go to Layout) and a Script with just this one step, still same result in all cases. It hangs on the relation sort for the portal and then crashes.

• 5. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                  TSGal

velistar:

This doesn't appear to be a corrupt object (button) or layout issue, so our Development and Testing departments would like to see a clone of your database file so they can determine why the button is causing the crash.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                    StevenRubenstein

I am experiencing an identical issue: navigating to a layout with a sorted portal shows a dialog while sorting, and then immediately crashes. It does not crash consistently; seemingly triggered by relatively large portals. Removing the sorting seems to have fixed the issue but this breaks functionality.

Brief testing shows the crashes happen semi-reliably on Macs running FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced. There have been reports of Windows machines experiencing similar glitches but those are not verified.

I have attached a crash report resulting from the navigation.

• 7. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                      TSGal

StevenRubenstein:

Thank you for your post and crash report.

Since this crash is also occurring under Mac OS X 10.11.1, Development and Testing would also like to see a copy/clone of your database file to determine why this is crashing when sorting.  Our private messaging system appears to be temporarily broken, so I have sent a message to our Technical Support contact to relay instructions to you where to send the file.  If you don't receive the instructions within one hour, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                        StevenRubenstein

I haven't heard from Technical Support or received any messages yet.

• 9. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                          TSGal

StevenRubenstein:

My apologies.  I just finished talking to our Technical Support contact, and he assures me the message was just sent.  Let me know if you don't receive it within the next five minutes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                            RobH

Hello.

I am receiving the same crash running FM14.0.3 OS X 10.11.1.  This will crash when attempting to open a Layout with a sorted portal. I have the reproduction rate at 100%. FM13 will open this layout with no worries.

• 11. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                              TSGal

RobH:

Thank you for your crash report.

Are you moving to the Layout manually or through a button/script?  If through a button/script, try adding a Freeze Window script step as the first line in the script.

If the crash still occurs, then please send in a copy of your database file so I can try it here.  The forum private messaging feature is currently not working, so you should receive a message from our Technical Support liaison with instructions where to send the file.  If you do not receive a message within one hour, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                                PaSav-ICT

Have same issue. Was working Fine, until FM 14.03 update. Is working on local network, but not when i use it in the field remotely.

Have several layouts that are working, but some don't.

It is when sorting records is in a script step that is activated when entering the layout. If i sort after i enter the layout it is no problem.

• 13. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                                  TSGal

All:

Thank you for your crash reports, and thank you StevenRubenstein and RobH for your solutions.  All information has been sent to Development and Testing for review as they can set up the necessary environments to hopefully reproduce the issue.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Crash in layout with sorted portal
                                    TSGal

All:

Testing has been able to reproduce the crash.  From the notes from Testing, it does appear to revolve around a layout with a sorted portal.  All information has been sent to Development for additional review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next