AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with displaying data from external API

Question asked by aetherington on Oct 23, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 by Mike_Mitchell

Good morning All.

I am currently trying to automate a lot of our systems that are integrated with Apple's GSX API.

Now I have solved the issue of getting the data into Filemaker by creating a custom PHP script that return an XML, FM Reads this, and imports the information into FM.  This works great for unit information and other functions. 

One big issue I am having is displaying a list of Parts.  Currently I go and grab all parts possible for a repair,  the XML Sends it back into FM as a string containing #'s which seperates each set of parts, and then |'s to separate individual part data.  Using substitute and a  loop I am able to Loop through the parts in my variables and print them to a text box.

The parts are not stored in a database at all, It is meant to be dynamic so that we do not need to keep updating the hundreds of thousands of parts each time their information changes.  Now what I want to do is display each part in a list/repeating field(Which is not good) or some other kind of table that allows the user to search, and then select an individual part, Which will then put it into the record. 

Is there currently a clean solution todo this.  Or is my best bet just to convince the higher ups that we need to keep a databse of parts, and develop a solution to update the parts every night (Or something similar)

Any advice would be great.  Thank you!!

Outcomes