6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 1:31 PM by bogeyman007

Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.

bogeyman007

I am trying to print from FileMaker to my Lexmark 410 printer. I am using OS X El Capitaine and I have even downloaded a trial copy of FileMaker 14. The error I get is that there is a filter error. I can print from any other software on this printer.

• 1. Re: Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.
          steveromig

I am trying to print from FileMaker to my Lexmark 410 printer. I am using OS X El Capitaine and I have even downloaded a trial copy of FileMaker 14. The error I get is that there is a filter error. I can print from any other software on this printer.

This is not an error message that I am familiar with.

The first thing I would try is to re-install / update the printer driver.  In the Printers & Scanners section of System Preferences, right click / control click on the area where the printers are listed and choose "Reset Printing System."  This will remove all your existing print queues and pending print jobs.  From there you can re-add your Lexmark, and any other printer, by clicking the "+" button.

If that does not fix the problem, does this happen in any FileMaker Pro file you try and print from or just certain ones?  And are you printing by going to the FILE > PRINT menu or are you using a script?  If you are using a script, try printing manually and see if that helps.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.
            bogeyman007

I have reset the printer and reinstalled the drivers and the problem still exists. I can print from Word or Excel or any other program that I have tried. I can print from FikeMaker on my Epson 837 inkjet printer. Thank you for the tip about other Files. just printed something from an older file And it worked fine. The files I am working with were open when I had a large system crash and FileMaker recovered them for me. Are they still corrupt in some way? Can that be fixed? Could I export he files to an empty file. Would it work then?

I m printing from the file menu. This has been a big help so far.

• 3. Re: Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.
              bogeyman007

I saved the file in question as a compacted file and Di a consistency check after doing a recover. The log for this shows FILTER failed. Can I recover this file. I do have backups which would require me to input some data again.

• 4. Re: Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.
                steveromig

Thank you for the tip about other Files. just printed something from an older file And it worked fine. The files I am working with were open when I had a large system crash and FileMaker recovered them for me. Are they still corrupt in some way? Can that be fixed? Could I export he files to an empty file. Would it work then?

I m printing from the file menu. This has been a big help so far.

OK, so we narrowed it down to a file / solution then.

It is possible they are corrupted but this is not a behavior of corruption I have seen before.  Does it happen from every layout you print from or just certain ones?  Perhaps it is limited to one a layout or an object that is on the layout.

Hard to say if it can be fixed or not.  If you haven't already you can try running the file through the recovery process (FILE > RECOVER..." and see if that helps.  And you could also try the export method you mentioned if you have another file to export the data into.  If you are only concerned about the data you can export out of your file and then take the exported file and drop it on the FileMaker application icon to create a "quick" new file and print from there.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.
                  bigtom

I am not sure about the filter, but I had a DPI setting issue once. This was stored in an internal part of the file along with other print settings. I recall that Recover deletes all the print setting and starts over. I hope that will help.

• 6. Re: Printer filter error when attempting to print from FileMaker.
                    bogeyman007

I did a recovery on the file and I am now printing so thanks guys very much. This event has added a few hours to my evening however. Go Blue Jays!