4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 7:10 AM by Jefffy

Connection to FM Server 14 Remotely?

Jefffy

I have successfully installed FM Server 14 (Windows). I was able to connect to the server from my computer (Mac) while on the same internet network as the server (while in the same building). Needless to say, I was excited about the success.....until I arrived at home. Once at home, I opened up my Mac and tried to open remote and....nothing (connection failed). I tried Upload to Filemaker....and nothing (connection failed box). What could be the issue? Is there something else I need to do to the Server, the host computer, or to the router the host computer is on to allow access out of network? Ant advice or help is appreciated.JJ                   

JJ

• 1. Re: Connection to FM Server 14 Remotely?
          mikebeargie

There's a number of steps you need to take to setup your filemaker server for remote access.

First is acquiring a static WAN IP address from your ISP, or setting up a service like DynDNS, so you can access the remote server from a dedicated address.

Next is configuring your router to allow the ports needed for filemaker server to pass through and map to your filemaker server. (Ports 80, 443, 5003, 16000 and 16001 to start with).

Then you may want to update your server with an SSL certificate so that the connections are secure.

There are other considerations too, like antivirus and other security scanning. backup and drive management, etc.. You were most likely trying to connect to the local IP of the filemaker server, which isn't accessible once you step outside of the network.

• 2. Re: Connection to FM Server 14 Remotely?
            Jefffy

Thanks. I am certainly not the most computer literate person you will meet. So...a lot of this is new to me...but learning.

I have configured the router of the network the server is on...I think successfully. I will double check to make sure all of those ports are open to "forward." When you say "You were most likely trying to connect to the local IP of the filemaker server, which isn't accessible once you step outside of the network" are you saying that the that the IP of the host computer (which is the IP of the server) will not work for trying to connect remotely? If not, what IP address do I need to use remotely? Thanks for your help and....patience, Mike.            

• 3. Re: Connection to FM Server 14 Remotely?
              mikebeargie

A LAN IP address (local area network) such as 192.168.0.x will not work from anywhere outside the network. That's a private address designed only for access from the "inside" network. What you need to connect from the outside is a WAN IP address (wide area network).

For instance, if you go to your network settings on your computer, you will most likely see that you have a 192.168.x.x LAN IP assigned to your computer. But if you go to a website like http://www.wanip.info, you'll see that you will get your WAN IP (usually the IP address of your modem).

A static WAN IP is something that your internet provider assigns your modem so that it never changes and you can always hit that modem from that WAN IP address. So the network your server is on requires one of these to be accessed from the outside. DynDNS is an alternative to using a static IP. Both of these services cost extra money though as they are upgrades to your internet connection.

After you get that part figured out, then you will need to update your router configuration for the network that server is on. Since this is different depending on what hardware you have, I would google "configure port forwarding for

• 4. Re: Connection to FM Server 14 Remotely?
                Jefffy

Thanks, Mike. I will check it out. God bless and have great day!