13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 6:37 PM by richardsrussell

How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout

eyee12

Hi all -

I have a question that I can't seem to figure out. I've posted a question before and you guys were great with helping out with it!

I'm pretty new to Filemaker, yet I've watched videos on working it and have what I initially want built out. I'm just a bit stuck at this one part though. A little background: I'm doing a database for a casting company and I now have a Layout built where I can pull Job Info from a Global Field created, and Filter my Talent through several fields I created; Age Range, Body Type, Ethnicity, Special Skills, etc. This Layout is meant to use the Find option so I can cast for specific sets of people. i.e. If I search for Age Range 18-25, it'll pull through my Talent DB and list all my 18-25 year olds in a found set.

From there, I want to pull these records from the Found Set and List them in another Layout essentially. For each role, I'd like to do this and add it to that one, single layout. This way, when I cast for...8 roles, I can have all those that I've found in the found sets listed in one layout so I know who I can email to cast for a job.

Is this something that is possible? Thank you for your help!!

Here's what my Relationships and my layout with the filters looks like.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 11.45.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 11.45.24 PM.png

• 1. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
          mikebeargie

In the same window, found sets are carried over to layouts based on the same table.

So you can do your find on one layout, then go to another layout based on the same table and it leaves you in the same found set, no extra coding needed.

If the table is related to the table you performed the find on, then you can use the "Go To Related Records" script step to navigate to the related records on another layout.

I would keep it simple like this, there are definitely more complex ways of carrying things across layouts, but you haven't outlined anything I think that couldn't happen with the two methods I mentioned above.

• 2. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
            eyee12

Thanks Mike!

I guess I was overthinking it. This totally works, yet I have a question on that now. So let's say I have to cast for 6 "Roles". I want to do a find for "Role 1" and input it in that New layout with the Heading Role 1. Then I want to go back to Find and cast for "Role 2" and input in that New Layout under "Role 1" that has the Heading Role 2. And so on. Is this something that's possible? I know if I want to continue casting for roles, i'll have to extend found set, yet it compiles it All together, I won't know who is cast for what role.

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!!

• 3. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
              mikebeargie

Yes, it depends on how you want to find for different roles, but I'd just repeat the same process. Do a find, go to another layout, go back to the find layout, do another find, etc...

You can script a few things to assist with the navigation and processes, but start simple.

The best way to approach it is to do the steps manually using the native filemaker menus, then figure out what steps you can script to help automate it.

• 4. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                richardsrussell

Follow Mike Beargie's advice. Here's an extra little tip. In that header part of the layout you'll be using for your printout, create a text object for the generic report title (something like "List of Promising Talent") and insert into it (from the "Insert" menu) the {{date symbol}} and {{page number}}. Also in the header part, have a global field called "Subtitle". Before you actually commit to paper for any particular found set of talent, type in an appropriate description of who's on that list (for example, "71-year-old chubby guys with beards").

• 5. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                  eyee12

Thank you Mike and Richard!

I'll give that a shot. I'm just trying to figure out how to copy all records and paste it into one layout now. I'm doing the finds great, but still trying to have those values inputted into a separate layout.

• 6. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                    richardsrussell

You shouldn't have to copy or paste anything, Eyee. Just do the Find on one layout, then go to another layout (based on the same table, of course), formatted for output with only the fields you want to include in your report, and your found set will already be sitting there waiting for you.

• 7. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                      eyee12

Thanks for your quick reply Richard!

Sorry for my confusion, and I really appreciate your help. So, I understand what you're saying about not needing to copy/paste. Yet, if I do my find for "Role 1" and go to another layout based on same table. I'll see all those fields as I need. I want those fields still on this report to stay as I do my second search for "Role 2". After "Role 2" is searched for, I want this to be added to that one layout along with Role 1. i.e. Pepsi Commercial: Role 1 - 4 records, Role 2 -8 records, then I'll cast for Role 3 and add that to the layout. In the end, I want to see a report/list of all the Roles that I did a search for on one layout.

I hope this makes sense. I appreciate your help!

• 8. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                        richardsrussell

When you're in Find mode, you can add a new request from the "Requests" menu (or by typing ⌘N). So you can start out by going into Find and specifying "Role 1", then (without hitting "enter") add a new request for "Role 2", then (without hitting "enter") add a new request for "Role 3", etc. As soon as you've built a complete set of criteria, hit "enter", and any record that matches any of your criteria will pop up in your found set.

If, upon returning to Browse mode, you discover that you weren't getting quite what you expected, you don't have to laboriously reconstruct your Find request all over again. Just go to the "Records" menu and select "Modify Last Find" (or type ⌘R) and edit your previous criteria.

Good fortune!

• 9. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                          eyee12

Ah, got it!

Thank you Richard. That makes sense!!

I really appreciate your input and knowledge on this!

• 10. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                            eyee12

Hi Richard!

Sorry to bug you with this again. I've been trying to figure this out over the weekend without asking, but to no success. With this new layout that I'm trying to build for the input of the different roles, I can't seem to figure out how to input the multiple roles that I'll need for this list.

I understand that the new layout will already have my found set inside the layout for me to view when I input what fields I need in there, yet what do I do when I want to input the remaining 6 roles? i.e. If I have Role 1 - Hipsters..I do my Find and I get 35 people from my Talent Database that qualify. I want these 35 people to be in that New Layout with Heading 'Role 1 - Hipsters'. Under the Found Records for 'Role 1', on the same Layout, I'd like to put 'Role 2 - Business', and I'd do a search for these people and list these 'Found Records' under 'Role 2- Business'. Then...Role 3...Role 4..etc.

I hope this makes sense. Not sure if this is something you think is possible, or maybe I have to go figure something else out?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                              richardsrussell

Sorry for the late response. I've been out of town for a couple of days. Were you able to get this resolved in the meantime?

• 12. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                                eyee12

Hi Richard -

Unfortunately, no. I'm still stuck on this part. Do you have any words of advice?

Thanks!

• 13. Re: How to Display "Found Set" only from Layout
                                  richardsrussell

Hi, Eyee, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I think your needs would be best served by creating a new table (I'll call it CastLists) that would have these fields:

• Project Default (global text)

• Project (text, auto-entered with Project Default)

• Role Name Default (global text)

• Role Name (text, auto-entered with Role Name Default)

• Role Num Default (global number)

• Role Num (number, auto-entered with Role Name Default)

• Date Default (global date)

• Date (date, auto-entered with Date Default)

• TalentID (number, foreign key linked back to _TalentIDpk)

You'll have 2 layouts for this table, a data-entry layout and a report layout.

On the data-entry layout, put all the default fields up in the Header part and color-code them so it's obvious that they're the globals. (I use red type on a yellow background for this.) I generally align them in columns, so the global "Project Default" lines up directly over the "Project" column, "Role Name Default" over "Role Name", etc. Set all the global fields to be non-printing. (Select them, then under Inspector > Position > Sliding & Visibility > Object Visibility, check "Hide when printing".)

Let's say you're getting set to cast "Fanny's Folly". That would go in the "Project Default" field. Role 1 would be "Fanny", and that would go in "Role Name Default", and "1" in "Role Num Default". You're doing it today, so you'd have "2015/11/4" in "Date Default". These would be the values to be entered in each newly created "CastLists" record.

Then go to your "Talent" table and do a find for whatever characteristics you'd like to have for Fanny. You'll come up with a list of, let us say, 13 names. This is your found set from "Talent". Leave it there. Go to the "CastLists" table and, under the "File" menu, click on Import Records > File... and specify the very same file you're working with, but the "Talent" table. You'll have only one field to be imported into "CastLists", namely "_TalentIDpk", and it'll be imported into the "TalentID" field. The option you'll want in the lower left corner will be to add new records. Click on "Import" and presto, you'll have 13 new records in your "CastLists" table. Of course, you'll want to display other information from the "Talent" table (such as name, age, sex, etc.), based on the linkage between the foreign key CastLists::TalentID and the primary key Talent::_TalentIDpk, but the only thing you need to actually import is the key itself.

Repeat this process for Role 2, Hapless Hal; Role 3, Granny Gravy; Role 4, Snidely Whiplash; etc. When you're done, you can do a Find in the "Project" field to call up all the records for "Fanny's Folly". Go to a separate output layout to print them out. In the header part of that output layout, you'll want the "Project" name and probably also the report date and your own name and contact info as talent coordinator. Next have a sub-summary part sorted by "Role Num", in which you'll display the role number and name. Everything else you need to know about the talent will go into the body part.

Good fortune.